What's new

kynrek

Beginner
Reaction score
This is my first arcade cabinet so please forgive my ignorance here. I have a Dynamo HS-5 cabinet with Viper Phase I (a vertical shooter) in it. The game plays properly and looks great. I wanted to swap in my Mrs. Pacman/ Galaga 20th aniversary board and Time Pilot but they both play upside-down and I don't see an option to flip the video on them. I saw a similar thread where someone was told to "flip the yoke" and I was wondering if that is what I need to do I dont see the same color wires that were mentioned in that thread. My Monitor is a Wells-Gardner 25K7193

Thanks,

Its frustrating but some older games (especially Namco) are reverse orientation with no dip switches to flip. You’ll have to either rotate the screen in your cab or swap the yoke wires to get proper orientation. Someone who knows the chassis you have could chime in with instructions, but it’s always wise to check the manuals for the games online in case there’s a DIP or jumper to reverse orientation.

still can't believe there's no hack to mspacman to flip it yet.

I sold my board instead of touching the yoke ! screw it!

If I knew wtf I was doing with hacks I’d totally love to flip my pac/Galaga 20th anniversary. Not even sure that’s possible though. Would be sweet!! Maybe some heroes on here can chime in on the feasibility.

-Make game draw backwards.
-Flip controls to accommodate.
-Add toggle in test mode.
-fit it all within available memory and don’t break anything

Sounds like a lot of work but what do I know?

In the meantime you have to flip both yoke wire sets. Can’t miss an opportunity to link a vid by mitsu... Usually the yoke wires are longer connectors than anything else plugging into the chassis, and are a set of 4 or (2 sets of 2.)

I'd first check the game boards to see if they have dip-switches to flip the orientation -- that is a pretty common thing.

Next option is to cut the yoke plug housing, to separate the horizontal and vertical wires. You are basically creating TWO plugs from one (one plug for horizontal, one plug for vertical). If you do this, you can switch vertical orientation, just by flipping around the plug for the vertical wires.

Red/blue wires are almost always for horizontal. Vertical wires are more frequently colored differently, but since you have a K7000 I can tell you that they should be yellow & green.

I generally use a Dremel for this, but anything should work really. You might need to sand down the rough bits of the plug housing, so they fit cleanly.

This is kind of a hassle, since you need access to the monitor chassis. Probably best to stick to the games that share the same orientation, and swap infrequently. If you want horizontal, or vertical flipped, I'd just pick up another cab.

Thanks! I was able to find the yoke wires after I pulled the chassis board out and cut it in half and flipped it as suggested and it worked perfectly!

Some one needs to come out with a flip pcb and switch wire we could tuck inside our PCB or next to our coin mechs.

While we’re on the subject.

Is there a solution for LCD monitors?

Some one needs to come out with a flip pcb and switch wire we could tuck inside our PCB or next to our coin mechs.

You shouldn’t switch the yoke magnetism while the monitor is running. This is mostly why people haven’t made this switch. It’s too easy for someone to see a switch and try it not knowing it could damage the monitor.

I guess someone could create a little pcb with a nvram and software switch that only lets you change it on next boot?

many monitors also have a “reverse” input connector that will let you play Namco rotation games on a standard rotated monitor.

You shouldn’t switch the yoke magnetism while the monitor is running. This is mostly why people haven’t made this switch. It’s too easy for someone to see a switch and try it not knowing it could damage the monitor.
I guess someone could create a little pcb with a nvram and software switch that only lets you change it on next boot?

many monitors also have a “reverse” input connector that will let you play Namco rotation games on a standard rotated monitor.
That’s dumb. Put a warning on the switch and save my back the pain of rotating the monitor.

That’s right up there with warnings on 5 gallons of paint “Do not let your toddler fall into this bucket and drown his or herself”

DIP switches can be damaging adjusting live and no one puts warnings on those either.

I’m all for warnings.

@FrancoB made a cool switch to change between 15/24 on MS9’s. I wonder if the same theory and “tech” could be applied to Yoko/Tate switching.

I’d love the 15/24 switch for UVC usage if anyone is still making them.

If I knew wtf I was doing with hacks I’d totally love to flip my pac/Galaga 20th anniversary. Not even sure that’s possible though.
Maybe some of the more experienced arcade hackers can chime in but from my understanding some of these games have a bit to enable screen flip already but they never exposed to a menu option or dip switch, in those cases it's mostly a matter of hooking it up or just hard setting it the other way.

For games that don't have that it's probably way more work than it's worth and the difficulty would likely vary greatly depending on the hardware. I could be wrong but I think I've seen @Hatsune Mike talk about this before.

------------------
BTW this thread, and @jassin000 's recent thread inspired me to finally compile a list of vertical games and their default orientations: Vertical/Tate Game list and Screen Flip Info.

Next option is to cut the yoke plug housing, to separate the horizontal and vertical wires. You are basically creating TWO plugs from one (one plug for horizontal, one plug for vertical). If you do this, you can switch vertical orientation, just by flipping around the plug for the vertical wires.
If you only flip the plug for the vertical yoke wires, you will have an upside down, mirrored image. You have to flip both.

Also, before you break your connector housings, make sure there isn't a separate connector for reverse image on the chassis. Nanao MS8, Hantarex MTC-9000 and Hantarex Polo all have one.

I made myself a yoke flip adapter that is a bit primitive, but offsets the risk of switching while the yoke is energized, or running the monitor with no deflection.

I wired an AMP-UP connector to have the horizontal and vertical connections, but also the AC power for the monitor chassis. Then, I can plug this connector into one of two housings. One has H and V wired normally, while the other reverses the polarity of each. In both cases, power is passed to the chassis only if the connector is plugged in. That way, if I entirely forget to plug in the connector, I don't burn a dot in the center of my tube or make the chassis go into shutdown.

Furthermore, this adapter was done with male and female pins that match the yoke connector, so the wiring of the yoke did not have to be modified.

I just got an Astro City and the image is upside down. Is there a switch on it that let's me reverse it?

No. You’ll either need to flip the monitor or flip your yoke wires.

I just got an Astro City and the image is upside down. Is there a switch on it that let's me reverse it?
Which side of the tube is the flyback (the large wire with the suction cup) attached to?

if your monitor is mounted horizontally it should be on the top,
if you're monitor is rotated vertically then it should be on the left side (when viewing the screen) for "Counter clockwise" rotation, which is the most commonly supported

depending on the game there is usually a "screen flip" option via dipswitch or in the test menu

It has to do with the horizontal and vertical yoke plugs apparently.
that is another way to flip the image. but you'll want to make sure the tube is the right way around first, otherwise they'll both be backwards.

Back