What's new

XeD

Grand Master
Reaction score
My psone screen finally died in my portable jamma test rig. Are their any other screen I can use for this? I have a gbs8220 if vga is the only option. Don't want to use another phone screen if there are other/better options

I used one of these 6" LCDs for my mini game projects. They are native 640x480 and accept 15khz video as well as 480p vga. They even have a remote control:

They take rgb or NTSC video. You might find one on ebay.

For something a little larger, those 14" Sony LMD1410 and LMD1420 LCDs are also native 640x480 and accept both 15khz and 31khz.

Old games actually don't look too bad on those low res LCDs. You don't even need shaders or fake scanlines.

I used one of these 6" LCDs for my mini game projects. They are native 640x480 and accept 15khz video as well as 480p vga. They even have a remote control:

They take rgb or NTSC video. You might find one on ebay.

For something a little larger, those 14" Sony LMD1410 and LMD1420 LCDs are also native 640x480 and accept both 15khz and 31khz.

Old games actually don't look too bad on those low res LCDs. You don't even need shaders or fake scanlines.
The LMDs will do 480i, but not 480p. No way to do VGA directly, either. My 1420 looked decent with some things (mostly 2D), but awful with others.

Great for testing! That's about it.

There are several VGA monitors that can do CGA resolution - there's a list at http://15khz.wikidot.com/ (missing some entries) and another one in Portuguese at https://www.retropix.com.br/lista-de-monitores-que-aceitam-15khz/ that has a few different entries (can't say it's more complete, but it's good to look at both). There I found that the Samsung 710N can do 15kHz (CGA resolution) and have used to hook up quite a few classic consoles that have RGB output without a problem.

Are the 1420s okay for old consoles?
I think they’re fine for what I tried on them (SNES, Neo Geo, PS1). The viewing angles are a bit crap, but didn’t feel bad with the platformer I tried more extensively. Not good for arcade stuff, though, without some resistors- too bright.

I think they’re fine for what I tried on them (SNES, Neo Geo, PS1). The viewing angles are a bit crap, but didn’t feel bad with the platformer I tried more extensively. Not good for arcade stuff, though, without some resistors- too bright.
Thanks for the feedback. Got my eye on some if I can get them cheap.

Honestly, though, there’s probably better routes to go for non-CRTs. You’re talking about a 14” LCD that’s about 20+ years old when the modern LCD has improved significantly, even if rare to find a native 4:3 screen. It’s great it can accept RGB/component, but only offering 240p/480i isn’t versatile enough for me, so it’s not going to replace my PVMs for actual play.

The best modern LCD should be BenQ Bl702/902A
15/24/31 Khz, 5ms reaction time 5:4 is very close to 4:3.
Combine it with some OSSC and no more need for any CRT.
If you are lucky there is still new old stock somewhere near you.
Screen is only a few years old!

EcFWG3WWoAAfnmJ?format=jpg&name=large.jpg
EO1iNOqWAAYlRF0?format=jpg&name=4096x4096.jpg

Its my main "japanese Stuff" screen and can even take the most strange x68k doujin games switching resolutions from 24 to 15 khz midgame :)
x68000 users should get the one with DVI input and combine it with the old DVI OSSC so there is no need for another converter. (902A)

Last edited:
Honestly, though, there’s probably better routes to go for non-CRTs. You’re talking about a 14” LCD that’s about 20+ years old when the modern LCD has improved significantly, even if rare to find a native 4:3 screen. It’s great it can accept RGB/component, but only offering 240p/480i isn’t versatile enough for me, so it’s not going to replace my PVMs for actual play.
The ones I’m looking at are from 2007 so not that old. I get there are better options but I do like the ease of connectivity.

2007 can still be pretty bad when it comes to reaction time.
I would never crack the 5ms mark if you want to play some fast paced games like shmups or racing...

Back