What's new
U

Unicron

Got rid of all the Taito stuff, and installed a generic AMP and speakers. Did this because I never intend on using arcade hardware, and this was the easiest route for me. Also, it was a learning experience! :)

Had to modify the top speaker boxes first as described by @jassin000 here since I have a Vewlix F.

Here are the pics and explanations: https://imgur.com/a/APLzhj0

This is intended for Vewlix noobs who want to do the same. There's a more professional way of doing this, but this will do for most people.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is intended for Vewlix noobs who want to do the same. There's a more professional way of doing this, but this will do for most people.
Same thought process I had.
ie The true/proper way to cut the speaker boxes would be machine assisted, like a CNC that also cut a small recess into the face/surface to accommodate the lip/edge of the new speaker housing.

Method I wrote about can be preformed using a simple/common Drumel tool while achieving near perfect results.

Same thought process I had.ie The true/proper way to cut the speaker boxes would be machine assisted, like a CNC that also cut a small recess into the face/surface to accommodate the lip/edge of the new speaker housing.

Method I wrote about can be preformed using a simple/common Drumel tool while achieving near perfect results.
Yeah, that would be cool!

It was cool thinking that if Taito made like a Vewlix 2, they could have it use standard PC power supplies, standard monitors, etc. Don't know if they will bother because the Vewlix is pretty great as is. I mean they did Make an Egret 3 after the second one, and I heard the Egret 3 was not as good as the 2, which is a shame. Wouldn't want that to happen with the Vewlix. :|

But what would be really cooool is if Taito, Sega, and maybe other companies rereleased classic candy cabs like the Egret series, Astro City series, but primary for modern home use, like with premium features: quality construction and paint, new monitors, speakers, support for PCs/consoles out of the box, etc. Kinda like that Capcom mini cute repro...

And yes original PCBs and JAMMA are awesome! The only problem being for most people is the expense and needing the technical know-how for installation, upkeep, repairs, etc.

Wouldn't want that to happen with the Vewlix.
It basically did, the Vewlix 2 just went by a different name Taito called it a Diamond. ;)
No I'm not saying the Diamond sucks, but just like the E3 isn't as nice as the E2 same applies to the Diamond line Vs the original F and FC.

Fair enough! Yeah, I would not turn down a Diamond...hoping KC will have some Blue's in the future when I'm ready to purchase The blue/white was a nice choice by Taito.

Really appreciate you putting this up here. I'm about to go through this with a Type C that has a blown out tweeter. Planning to just replace all 4 while I'm at it

Back