What's new

CoinFeeder

Professional
Reaction score
"Yo dawg, we heard you like cabs... so we've put a cab in your cab...!"

Hey fellow Arcardians,

I wanted to share a first peek on a little project I recently started. While I have a couple of cabs, I have much more boards than cabs. Sounds familiar, eh? And while I sometimes switch boards, sometimes I just don't dare and just continue playing the game currently in a cab. In short, as with many of my other things, I mostly use the ones I have setup/connected, while stuff stored away is often not used for a while.. sometimes even forgotten about. :whistling:

So to fix this at least partly for my shmup board collection, I ordered a 8-way JAMMA switch from Jim Riddle (riddledtv.com)..

His switch appealed much more to me compared to what I've seen previously.

Here are some the main highlights/differences compared to other JAMMA switchers:

- Boards are not directly installed on the switch itself, but with dedicated ribbon + power cables for each board
- Only active board is powered
- Support for switching kick-harness for each board as well. Less important in my case (because shumps), but a very cool feature nonetheless.
- Switching through games with button (hold P1+P2 for 2 sec) combination
- Special mod Jim did to my board (and will offer to others as well of course) which allows direct selection of game via 8 dedicated button panel you can put below control panel. Or alternatively via Arduino + WiFi :)

I likely forgot about some of the other cool features, but to cut a long story short: i'm super happy with my purchase so far. The only thing that's not 100% perfect is that the edge connectors are bit of a quite tight fit. I yet have to bring up with Jim, but I'm sure he'll be able to assist in some way with that.

So to get that thing into my cabinet together with some boards, I designed a little cabinet which a friend of mine then made for me. It only has 5 shelfs for now, but could potentially be changed to at least 6 with less solid/thick wood ;)

I didn't get to fully load this up with games, but will do so soon and also record a video review on the whole thing then.

Attachments

• cabincab.jpg
    cabincab.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 169
nice.... and looks like it will be even more work to swap out these 5,6 or 8 boards when the time comes!

Choose wisely!

I really like your cabinet within a cabinet (inception?) setup, especially with the cable slot you've created on the right side. That looks positively exceptional. One of the best I've seen to date.

I also agree with you on the edge connectors being a bit too tight. I prefer that over the possibility of it accidentally slipping off. With that said, I agree that I do want to be able to take the connector off occasionally. I've also found that some PCBs are actually more thick than others. For me, that thickest PCBs I find are the Midway games like NBA Jam.

If anyone would like to purchase the Switcher, it is available HERE: https://riddledtv.com/arcade/ez.html#EZ8Way
If you need quotes for international shipping, please email me at the address shown on my site.
Please also email me if you'd like to have the same modification done to yours with the extra button headers.

Last edited:
Back