What's new

Arthrimus

Champion
Reaction score
My Lindbergh's monitor was dying rapidly so, inspired by what everybody is doing with Vewlix monitor swaps, I decided to take a crack at swapping my Lindbergh's monitor too. It seems like 32" 1080P monitors of reasonable quality about the same price as 1440p monitors, and since I primarily run a PC or PS3 in my Lindbergh, it seemed like 1440p would be better for me than 1080p anyway so I decided to try out this LG 32QK500-C 1440p monitor. The picture quality of this monitor is fantastic, being that it's IPS, and I couldn't be more pleased with how it looks.

I found that with the anti glare coating on the original lindbergh glass I got some grainy moire effects on the the new screen, probably because it also has it's own anti glare coating and stacking the two created the effect, so my solution was to remove the glass and design a mount to press the new monitor into the front of the bezel.

The mount that I designed is 3D printable. It consists of 4 corner spacers to center the monitor in the bezel, and 4 rear spacers to attach to the stock metal frame of the lindbergh monitor to hold the new monitor securely in place. Below are pictures of the mount and installation procedure.

jsaEQO5.jpg
NpkQ6vy.jpg
YbvruOk.jpg
Y2cVxtC.jpg
f4bwHcq.jpg
WPVTeKs.jpg
X9O5HA4.jpg
OwrtaWM.jpg
WuBKtIK.jpg

This design will probably work with other LG monitors that use the same housing design, and it can be edited to work with a wider variety of monitors by adjusting the dimensions of the spacers. I've uploaded it to thingiverse and I included the Sketchup source file so it should be easy to edit.

@Arthrimus Great stuff! Thank's for sharing. How did you go with running the video cables out? Did you have to remove the settings joystick to be able to turn on the monitor and make adjustments? Cheers :)

PS I’m also curious what you ended up doing with the fans.

Last edited:
@Arthrimus

28.5" x 16.7" x 1.7" 32QK500-C
28.1" x 16.9" x 2.0" 32GP850-B

Do you think I need to modify your brackets based on these measurements?

I want to put a 32GP850-B in my Lindbergh. I tried to use Sketchup & had no clue what I was doing :(

@tonyt76 I’d say you will have to. I’ve got the 3d printed parts but haven’t installed my 32QK500 yet. As is your 32GP850 will be too loose in the x-axis and too big in the y-axis. I think the “chocks” under the cross bracket would be too big for that monitor as well. I’m no good at CAD either but i think you will need to add 0.2” to each piece on the vertical side facing the monitor and shave off 0.1” on the horizontal faces. The chocks will need to be reduced by 0.3”. Just my thoughts here at the computer.

@tonyt76 I’d say you will have to. I’ve got the 3d printed parts but haven’t installed my 32QK500 yet. As is your 32GP850 will be too loose in the x-axis and too big in the y-axis. I think the “chocks” under the cross bracket would be too big for that monitor as well. I’m no good at CAD either but i think you will need to add 0.2” to each piece on the vertical side facing the monitor and shave off 0.1” on the horizontal faces. The chocks will need to be reduced by 0.3”. Just my thoughts here at the computer.
@Ziggy Cheetos Dust thank you for your help!

Last edited:
Anyone doing this in 2023?

The only LG 32 inch in production 2023 is the 32UQ750-W (4k, VRR). Would it be compatible?
32UQ750-W: 28.1" x 16.5" x 1.8"

However I can still find a 2021 model 32GP850-B as used by tonyt76. It's 2k instead of 4k but is VRR and actually has a lower refresh than the 2023 model (1ms vs 4ms).
32GP850-B: 28.1" x 16.9" x 2"

If anyone has done this recently would love to hear what monitor you went with and if it's compatible with Arthrimus' 3d printed mounts.
@tonyt76 would you recommend the 32GP850-B in 2023?

Also can you still play native lindbergh after this?

I still haven’t done mine, but the specs in the link in the original post are 28.5"W x 16.7"H - so not the same. I get a sense that you wouldn’t really know what dimensions you need for new 3D printed parts until you laid whatever monitor you got into the Lindbergh casing and measure from there. It’s a bit of pain hey but would be worth it.

I think I'd rather keep the glass too and this method removes the glass.

Maybe get clear glass cut and decase the monitor. Will chance a 32UQ750-W

Another mini project added to the list.

Another mini project added to the list.

If anyone does decide to decase their monitor, PM me - I'll buy the casing from you :)

I’d be keen to keep the glass too - but you get the double effect of the anti glare glass and then the anti glare on the monitor. I suspect the best way is adjusting the dimensions of the spacers to fit whatever monitor you get. In the pinball world people use anti glare glass called Invisiglass. There’s other kinds too I believe. Something like that could be cool.

Back