What's new

VWI

Student
Reaction score
I have an AMDEK Color monitor that has a monochrome button on it. My question is not about the monochrome mode but more about the 9 pin D-Sub connector.
I have a AXUN SuperGun with the DIN8P TO SCART-EUR on order and currently have an OSSC. My question is what would I need to use this monitor or does anyone know anything about this particular CRT? I have found very little online about it basically just one site with some limited amount of specifications for a 600A model. While i realise this is a very small screen I am ok with it. I believe it came with a Tandy 1000 that was given to me a long long time ago I don't even remember who gave it to me. I have tested it with the Tandy and it works.

For a AMDEK COLOR600A The one I have is a 600 only not sure how different they would be:
Original Monitor Description
Video Modes : CGA
Number of Colors : 16
CRT Size : 14 inch CRT
Viewable Size : Approximately 12 inches (diag.)
Horizontal Sync Rate* : 15.85 KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate* : 60.5 Hz
Resolution* : 320 x 600
Cable Connection : typically non-detachable cable, 9-pin (8 pins functional), D-SUB type (This one without the A is detachable and I have the cable.)

IMG_20200815_070237871.jpg
IMG_20200815_070355561.jpg
IMG_20200815_072410587.jpg

Any how thanks for any information y'all might have.

VWI

looks like a CGA monitor, so it uses digital TTL and separate H-V positive sync.

So you would need a device that can coovert digital TTL to analog RGB, and sync splitter/inverter

Reactions: VWI
I’m not sure if that box converts from analog to digital RGB. It looks like it just outputs analog CGA frequencies (But I might be wrong)

normally people wants to convert from digital to analog and not the other way round.

you need the reverse of this:

https://gglabs.us/node/2022

You can't convert analog RGB into digital TTL. If you did, you'd be limited to 16 colors anyway. You're probably better off selling the monitor to an old IBM PC enthusiast that wants to use CGA graphics.

You can't convert analog RGB into digital TTL. If you did, you'd be limited to 16 colors anyway. You're probably better off selling the monitor to an old IBM PC enthusiast that wants to use CGA graphics.
If I cant It still works on the Tandy 1000. Just was thinking it would be nice to use it for other things.

OK just doing a bit of reading on the internet and rna across something that states "In the 80’s to late 90’s, over 98% of arcade games were designed for CGA graphics of approx 320×240". So since I don't know anything about this would not this monitor be good for those arcade games the use CGA?

It's not just about horizontal sync rate. Arcade games don't output digital TTL video and separate H-V sync.

Back