What's new

Tuxosaurus

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi, I recently bought a Darksoft Multi Kit for the ST-V and Golden Axe: The Duel was one of the main reasons behind the purchase.
So in order to play it I made myself a kick harness and something's weird: the SW5 button (medium kick) of the 2nd player pauses/freezes the game when I press it (it stays frozen as long as I'm pressing the button).

I tested with the 4 other games that requires a kick harness and this also happens with Suikoenbu - but all the other games are fine, I get my medium kick in Astra Super Stars and Groove on fight.
I also tested that kick harness on a CPS2 and it's working fine.
I'm running a supergun with UD USB decoders but also tested with a DB15 modified stick, same result.

I wonder why it's just these 2 games that have this problem. Any clue?

stv-kick-harness.jpg

Did you go into test menu and confirm inputs for those games? I would rule out the super gun by shorting the button pin to common directly on CN21 and see if you get the same result.

Thanks for the replies.

Depinning the ground wires or switching to pins 1 & 11 didn't solve the problem, although now I know they are optional.

2P SW5 doesn't register in the input test menu of the game. But testing using a single button plugged directly to pin 8 works so it does seem the supergun is the culprit.

Moreover from the input test menu I also saw that my 2P UP direction also triggers 1P UP. And that is happening with all games (but not with CPS2 and MVS). So this new problem has nothing to do with the kick harness and there must be something with the supergun. I don't see any connector on the board for basic controls so I guess I'll solder a db15 on a Jamma extension board.

Which supergun? I remember now... Solder side pin D is pause on the stv pinout. Check P4 on manual. Disable that signal if it’s a supergun that lets you address that, it’s basically trying to send the kick signal both there and the kick harness. Many superguns can disable that with a jumper. Otherwise put a small piece of tape over that jamma track.

This one from smallcab: https://www.smallcab.net/smallcab-supergun-deluxe-p-2166.html

It seems you're right, in their manual they say pin d of the Jamma connector is linked to P2 button 5. Though it's weird it wouldn't do that for all games?

This is gonna be... interesting. I have already modified some of the routes because it's not compatible with the UD USB decoder (different usage of the coin/select pins if I remember).

Just put a small piece of tape on the pcb covering that pin on the jamma edge

Thanks again, hopefully that simple trick worked!

So the issue I described in the OP is "solved". Still don't know exactly why it was only happening on 2 games but it's definitely because there is a "pause" feature on the ST-V (Jamma pin d) and my wiring/supergun also had 2p SW5 linked to the same pin.

I'll dig deeper for the other issue (2P UP triggers 1P UP) but it's a different topic (although the answer probably lies in the supergun again).

Pin d in the STV manual is actually labeled "Pause".

Thanks again, hopefully that simple trick worked!

So the issue I described in the OP is "solved". Still don't know exactly why it was only happening on 2 games but it's definitely because there is a "pause" feature on the ST-V (Jamma pin d) and my wiring/supergun also had 2p SW5 linked to the same pin.

I'll dig deeper for the other issue (2P UP triggers 1P UP) but it's a different topic (although the answer probably lies in the supergun again).
I think it's just like how with Capcom, only Vampire Savior is affected by the stacked inputs, like Apoc said, most likely a software feature that other games don't utilize.

I wonder why it's just these 2 games that have this problem. Any clue?
this is a feature, not a problem :)
many (most?) of ST-V games uses this input line for the same purpose - pause the game.
most of these games have it as an option in game assigments settings, and it is disabled by default.
but, there is several games which have it permanently enabled, like GA Duel and few others.

Back