What's new

Foxe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my Darksoft CPS2 unit set up with a HAS supergun. First issue, no audio. Relatively small issue I can look more into later. Haven't tried the RCA plugs on the CPS2 A board yet either.

The real issue is though, sometimes games slow to a crawl. They'll usually boot fine but then after a minute or so on slow to less than 1 frame per second. I've downloaded the suicidetesterv2multikit test and it's reporting low values for the speed test. They say that upping the voltage may help, but according to the voltmeter on the HAS I'm running it at 5.00V give or take .02V at times. I've read elsewhere that you can run it at a max of 5.10V but I'm afraid to up the voltage on my first arcade system.

I have a multimeter I could probe around the A/B boards themselves with but I'm not sure where to check. I've heard that can give more accurate voltage readings than what's on the HAS.

Thanks for any help!

-Edit-
MVC Revision 7/Pal G B board.
I'm using the old rom set as I don't have the key writer installed yet. Not sure if that makes a difference.

State your power supply.

Also the volume issue sounds like the capacitor that retains the memory for the audio is not charging, thus defaulting to zero. That is most likely why you don't have volume. The permanent solution is to replace the super capacitor.

But for now hold the volume button - (the one all the way to the right) for around 30 seconds. At least until you get to the title screen. After that turn the volume up on the CPS2 board.

https://www.arcade-projects.com/forums/index.php?threads/cps2-a-board-volume.4463/

MWP 606 for the psu. Ill check the supercapacitor and see what I can find. Thanks!

The volume trick of holding the button while powering up doesn't seem to have done anything. I'm checking the RCA ports soon.

As for the slow down, I'm still stumped. It seems to run fine if it's booted after a while being off. (At least for longer)

Last edited:
set your multimeter to dc and check pins 1 and 3 on the jamma edge. Adjust your psu so the power there is 5.0 to 5.05 or so. The voltmeter on the HAS may need calibration (small screw/pot on the back) if it’s too far off.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/99/60/fd/9960fd14366d5523a94a53e31426e342.png

I don’t know that upping the power will help but setting the power correctly will never hurt.

Raz's CPS2 suicide checker rom will let you know if your CPS2 is running in the "degraded" state. I wonder if that is what is happening?

http://cps2shock.emu-france.info/
Given the new discovery CPS-2 boards can run in a degraded state, I have updated our small suicide test tool to include the small test to check for it.

you can mess with the voltage while it's running and the screen will change dynamically.

Yup. I've tried running that. At times it runs in the degraded state for sure. Others, perfectly normal numbers. I still gotta check it with my multimeter in case the voltmeter is showing a wrong reading.

Back