Time Soldiers repair log and 'ALPHA-INPUT84/87' reproduction

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Time Soldiers repair log and 'ALPHA-INPUT84/87' reproduction

Bought on eBay from the States a Time Soldiers PCB which arrived to me some days ago (by the way, thanks to 'coolmod' for his mediation and forwarding) :

Auction described the board as “TESTED NOT WORKING-GARBAGE ON SCREEN-MISSING CHIP”

The missing chip was actually one of four program ROMs:

I programmed a blank EPROM and finally powered the board up.All I got was a partially dimmed screen in which I could recognize the power-on TEST which probaby failed since the board kept resetting:

As usually I do, I started my troubleshooting with a visual inspection.Board was in very good shape but flipping it I noticed scratches on solder side, some quite deep :

A couple of traces looked really severed under the microscope and my multimeter in continuity test confirmed it :

Patching the broken traces fixed board completely :

The repair was pretty easy, just a quick fix hence it gave me time to look for something on the board to reproduce.The long custom SIL marked 'ALPHA-INPUT84' was a good candidate :

This custom IC handles inputs and Time Soldiers, being a rotary joystick game, uses four of them (two for 8-way joysticks of both players and the other two the 12-way rotary joysticks).Later Alpha-Denshi games like Gold Medalist use a part marked 'ALPHA-INPUT87' that externally is identical but with slight internal differences :

The two parts are not interchangeable but I was able to merge both designs in a single reproduction part: :

Testing on PCB was successful on Time Soldiers PCB, all directions of both players worked with 8-way joysticks (could not test rotary because I don't have them)

Another PCB and custom IC preserved!

The post was edited 1 time, last by caius ().

• caius wrote:

Thanks for the list!Maybe not the most wanted reproduction but it's always good to have it in my opinion ;)
      The other parts on this board are quite good, all hitachi and stuff.
      With this input repro available it makes the hardware simple and easy to repair / maintain :D

It will be used on many others too, the list is just what have seen over the years / common stuff.
    • caius wrote:

The repair was pretty easy, just a quick fix hence it gave me time to look for something on the board to reproduce.The long custom SIL marked 'ALPHA-INPUT84' was a good candidate :

You almost seem sad that it was so easy ! :rolleyes: Who else would say "we'll it's all working but let's try to reproduce something, just for fun"

amazing.

Now you make me wanna find a board for my rotary joystick!

Thank you !
      +++
    • Mrhide wrote:

You almost seem sad that it was so easy ! Who else would say "we'll it's all working but let's try to reproduce something, just for fun"

amazing.
      Ahahahah!Thanks.Well, we are not speaking about a 'CPS-A-01' or other full digital ASIC so the part was really easy (for me at leat) to replicate.Here 's the "naked part" :

Mrhide wrote:

Now you make me wanna find a board for my rotary joystick!
      And I'm looking instead for a rotary joystick!it seems they are not really cheap and easy to find.