What's new
Cool. You'll want to see if your B-board is actually working or not. Least expensive way is to install aje_fr's Suicide Free modchip. I can program a chip and send it to you for cost ($2 + $5 s/h). So reinstall all the OG roms and let me know what is silkscreened on the rom. Maybe even post a pic of it.

You will just need to solder it in. If after that doesn't work, then you have a dead B-board (not a suicided B-board). Then you can seek out a new working B-Board and try the multi installation all over again.

You can also buy an Infinikey but that is $20 + $10 shipping from Paradise Arcade Shop.

Cool. You'll want to see if your B-board is actually working or not. Least expensive way is to install aje_fr's Suicide Free modchip. I can program a chip and send it to you for cost ($2 + $5 s/h). So reinstall all the OG roms and let me know what is silkscreened on the rom. Maybe even post a pic of it.

You will just need to solder it in. If after that doesn't work, then you have a dead B-board (not a suicided B-board). Then you can seek out a new working B-Board and try the multi installation all over again.

You can also buy an Infinikey but that is $20 + $10 shipping from Paradise Arcade Shop.
https://imgur.com/a/HJHTwDo

Each ROM has been returned to it's rightful home. I'll look into the mod chip a bit more but it sounds like the right approach. Is it reversible?

I'll send you a PM for payment.

Looks totally reversible. Seems like you drop it in solder side of the CN9. Super easy and neat solution.

Update!!

So. The board revived with some success! The infinikey I got from @acblunden2 has the MVC game working but without sound. I've verified it's not a problem with any of my set up as the audio cable transmits sound just fine. I'm going to try reseating the sound roms and see if that helps in any way.

The in game test menu shows that sound ram is good though. I of course checked the volume control, everything seems fine there even in the test menu.

If anybody has suggestions on how to diagnose sound issues I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Word. B-board works! Means it should work for the multi. Also means @ArcSys101 sold you the board as described. But getthe B-board audio working before you do the conversion. Eliminate points of possible failure.

Make sure you have your audio configured properly for MONO or STEREO. Then try this trick. If that doesn't work, some further surgery is required.

Yup. Thank you again for the infinikey. So I've tried all the tricks multiple times, no luck. The volume controls in the test menu work perfectly fine. The board simply doesn't seem to produce any audio. I've tried both mono and stereo sound settings, no luck on either.

I've begun looking around the board for anything that looks... suspicious. Broken traces, faulty pins, etc... Nothing seems out of the ordinary. The sound roms themselves seem fine, no bent pins, went in smoothly. I tried cleaning up and reflowing one of the ICs that looked suspicious and coroded, no change in behavior. For reference it was the IC LS04. Beyond that, I don't see anything wrong. There's some poor looking traces, but any that I've found I've tested with my multi-meter. All that I've tried seem good.

This is where having another working A-Board and B-Board comes in handy. Could be your B-Board. Could be your A-Board. Check again if someone in your area has a working CPS2 set. Try your B-board on the working A-Board. Try the A-Board on a working B-Board. Once you've isolated it to one or the other, then you can troubleshoot further.

Welcome to the hobby :).

I'm inclined to think it's the B board. Arcsys sent me videos of the A board working with another game, XMen Vs SF. I don't know of anybody in the area who might have a working CPS2 B board... I was considering just buying another game and giving that a try.

If it is the B-Board, there is a cap on the B-board that is known to cause audio to fail. Also, could be your Q-Sound EPROM's. But you are going to use this for the multi, so the EPROM's won't matter. So try replacing the caps near the 01 and 02 EPROM's.

Still though, your board turned out to be suicided. Don't know why when installing the multi it doesn't work. When you installed the multi previously, did you put it back in the shell when you tried using it? I've seen where the shell touches the top of the ribbon cabl and pushes the multi oh so much as to lift the pins of the multi out of the B-board. See if you can install the multi again and do not install the upper piece of the shell. Only lay the B-Board PCB into the bottom black B-board shell. But do not install the B-board without the bottom shell because it is damn near impossible to remove the B-Board without at least the bottom part of the B-Board shell. Watch how undamned does it.

Remember to short out EX5 capacitor near the battery and gently remove the Infinikey before reinstalling the mutli.

Yeah, even with the multi installed (and when the games did boot) there was no sound. I have mostly run it without the shell on as the retainer clip on the cable gets in the way of the shell closing.

What's the reason for shorting EX5 though? I think that just blanks the key right? If I have the key writing wires installed on the multi it shouldn't matter though, right?

I ended up picking up this A + B board before coming across this thread. While the A board seems to work fine for me (no sound issues), I've also tested this B board with the new multi on my other working A board and I either get no screen (black) or some other color like brown or green. No sound.

I was going to put in an infinikey to validate but since Foxe already did that, doesn't seem to be a point to that. Given all the testing previously done, I'll probably just write this off as a loser and just be happy the A board works well for me.

~Paik

Back