What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Currently I'm a complete CPS2 noob.

I'm interested in picking up a copy of Mars Matrix at some point. I know there are separate ROM sets for USA and JP I'm curious if I were to get a JP board set if I could swap the ROMs to the USA version. or if I'd be able to convert a different game to Mars Matrix by re-burning the ROMs.

I know the multi-board setup is great but I'm looking for a single game dedicated setup and just trying to figure out what my options are.

Any b-board can pretty much play any game. You would need new roms and potentially a new PAL and maybe need to change your jumpers.

Any b-board can pretty much play any game. You would need new roms and potentially a new PAL and maybe need to change your jumpers.
excellent, thanks for the info.

if I do this will I need to use phoenix roms or can I use the original roms as long as the battery is still good?

You would need to use decrypted roms. Killing battery boards is frowned upon so if you're going to do a ROM swap try to grab a board that's already phoenixed or converted.

Every game has a different key so using a battery powered board won't work unless you have access to the key programmer kits. I don't think it has been officially released yet. I'm one of the testers.

I'm not really interested in the multi-kit that is out there.. but if I am reading this right.. as long as a board is phoenixed, you could just swap the b-board roms for another game.. IE: I have xmen vs sf -- I will open it tonight to see if it is phoenixed.. but if so.. I could download the game and sound roms for say.. SF alpha drop them in and it will work?

You can do rom swaps but you must watch pal rev and jumpers

If a game uses the same PAL and jumpers you can just rom swap it. If not you have to replace pal3 and set the soldered jumpers.

SO - As i understand this:

as long as the games have the same palchip (ie F=F, B=B) and the jumper setting is correct then the roms can be swapped.

ie: X-men vs Street Fighter is an F, thus it can be turned into a Xmen: Children of the Atom, or Dungeons and Dragons

SO - As i understand this:

as long as the games have the same palchip (ie F=F, B=B) and the jumper setting is correct then the roms can be swapped.

ie: X-men vs Street Fighter is an F, thus it can be turned into a Xmen: Children of the Atom, or Dungeons and Dragons
Basically yes, same PAL + same jumpers means just a Rom swap :)

The french website is no longer available... does anybody has the jumper settings for. Japanese xmen cota board?

Thanks in advance.

Back