What's new

neofan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made an Ironclad and can't get the sound to work. I used a PROGBK1 and CHA256. I've checked to make sure all the correct jumpers are active. No broken traces or pins. I used two M27C160's for the sound chips. I used a hex editor to split the V1 rom into two 2048 kb files. I removed both chips and verified that they were programmed correctly. Is there some special way of splitting the rom file?

@xodaraP successfully converted this, maybe he will chime in.

PROGBK1
JV4
JV3
JV8
JV7
J1
J9
JB3
J13
R3
R4
R1
R2

CHA256
J2
J3
J9
J10
J11
J12

The jumpers are set correctly. Aside from popping out the eproms to verify, I would start with cleaning the edge connectors and testing continuity for M1. You should at least get scratchy sound if M1 is functional but V1 and V2 are not.

You were right. The M27C1001 on M1 was bad. I pulled it and tested it and it showed it as having a bad pin. It tested fine when I programmed it the day before so I'm not sure what happened. I programmed a new chip and everything works fine now.
Thanks a lot for your help shadowkn55. I really appreciate it.

Do you know anything about an updated P1 file? I used the P1 from the MAME bootleg set, but it only has English language for USA region. I thought that there was a P1 that had English for both USA and Euro.

Last edited:
You were right. The M27C1001 on M1 was bad. I pulled it and tested it and it showed it as having a bad pin. It tested fine when I programmed it the day before so I'm not sure what happened. I programmed a new chip and everything works fine now.
Thanks a lot for your help shadowkn55. I really appreciate it.

Do you know anything about an updated P1 file? I used the P1 from the MAME bootleg set, but it only has English language for USA region. I thought that there was a P1 that had English for both USA and Euro.
Good news you found the fault!

The updated P1 is the one in the MAME bootleg set (the one taken from the Wii dump) the other version is a MVS prototype from a trade show and is really dim.

It has English for USA and Spanish on Euro, but you can set it to English in the service menu.

I'm glad it was just a bad eprom and not a faulty component on the board. Thanks for the info.

Back