What's new

Megazone

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a twin driver initial D 4 cabinet but its running Outrun 2SP.

I would like to get it back to initial D 4, it has a yellow lindbergh however the DVD drive has been removed and it has a small hard drive in its place with the outrun game on it.

Can someone help me understand what i need to do to get the original game running back on it??

Thanks
Matt :)

DVD drive is separate, it was never inside the board to begin with. You need the key chip, install disc for OutRun 2 and a USB DVD drive.

The install disc can be burned to a DVD-R, so you just need the disc image.

For the drive you can get an official one which will cost you money or a different compatible one. The HDDVD drive for the Xbox 360 is a compatible drive and can possibly be found for peanuts.

That just leaves the key chip. It's in Mame, but I'm not sure if you can burn that file to a pic or not (probably not).

Alternatively, you can look in to a Lindbergh multi. However, you'll have to Google that, as that's not allowed to be discussed on the forums.

Thanks Nem.

The plot thickens- my arcade does not have any security chip in the board?
It’s also running a Sata hard drive?
how is it running outrun 2?

Thanks
Matt

If there's no security chip it's running a hacked version of the game.

crazy!
thank you.

so is it possible to do the same with initial D?

or if I purchase a disk and chip on eBay, can I just plug the chips in, install a DVD rom and disc and it will run?

Does it have to be a certain region disc?

I’d prefer to try and get it back to how it would have been from factory.

Just jumping in. If a Lindbergh multi was added to this cab, how many of the driving games would be 'compatible' with the controls IO (steering wheel etc)? Ditto for other Sega JVS multis (driving games on Naomi etc if a Naomi multi was installed in this cab)?

Same question for gun games if you got a HOTD (JVS Lindbergh) and added a multi Lindbergh?

Would this also solve the OP's problem?

> Hi everyone, I recently purchased a twin driver initial D 4 cabinet but its running Outrun 2SP.

Unless I'm mistaken, Outrun 2 SP was only released on Lindbergh for massive motion cabinets, and without patching doesn't run inside a normal SD cabinet at all. You can be sure that if a standard cab is running Outrun 2 it's a hacked version.

> so is it possible to do the same with initial D?

It would be possible to do the same with Initial D, but it's not a simple task that can really be explained. You'd have to have a fairly extensive knowlege of linux to do it, and probably a good level of reverse engineering knowlege to remove the key chip check.

> or if I purchase a disk and chip on eBay, can I just plug the chips in, install a DVD rom and disc and it will run?

In a normal case yes, in your case no. Because your Lindbergh is running Outrun 2 SP from a single HDD that suggests it has been messed around with, and won't work as normal.

To install a game normally (and get it back to factory) the Lindbergh must be in Boot Lock Mode (which can be got back to by a setting in the bios, pm me for how to do that). You must have a working CF card installed in the Lindbergh with the lindbergh montavista linux installation on and an IDE HDD plugged in for the game to install to.

> Just jumping in. If a Lindbergh multi was added to this cab, how many of the driving games would be 'compatible' with the controls IO

Steering wheels and pedals would work well, as well as gear shifters. The view change buttons / special buttons may have issues.
On a Naomi Cab I beleive the pedals are generally wired the other way around, so this would have to be swapped.
For light gun games, yep most games would run fine on a HOTD cab, unsure about special buttons though.

So in conclusion, if the OP wants to get it back to normal he needs to:

- Reset the bios (turn boot lock off / reset the entire thing to defaults)
- Make sure the CF Card is inserted, and that the jumpers on the board select this as the master drive
- Make sure a blank IDE drive is connected
- Connect the USB DVD reader
- Insert a game disk + keychip to install

Thanks for this detailed response. Would IO boards, OpenJVS etc solve these issues? I'd like to try this as a project, for both gun and racers (2 separate cabs).

I think with one racing cab, and the ability to do some rewiring you could play most games! Same for gun cabs, I’m fairly certain most of it is standard, just things like a throw bomb button might be wired differently on some games, so you may need to have a switch wires in that allows you to swap which pins stuff goes to.

OpenJVS is more for playing games with USB peripherals - it would probably be easier for you to use the real IOs in a real cab if you’ve got one.

If you do want to play with OpenJVS there is a discord group with a link on https://GitHub.com/openjvs/OpenJVS with lots of people who can help you with any questions.

Thanks. Initially I was thinking about adding some peripherals to existing cabs (and may try this too), but I figured it might be a better experience, and easier, to adapt an actual gun or racing cab. I've got most of the Sega boards now, adapted for multi, so it has to be tried, really :)

I know that e.g. steering wheel USB peripherals have to be modded due to different voltages etc. If only someone was selling these ready to use (with Mitsu's IO card or somesuch) and I'd buy the lot! It's so frustrating to have e.g. a Naomi 2 with Piforce/NetDIMM, and not be able to play the gun and racing games! I admit, I'm now completely hooked with trying to do this, albeit still a relative noob :) I know pinball well though, so can use a soldering iron & voltmeter etc.

USB Steering wheels for use with Mitsu's IO helper have to be modified, because they're using the original PCB.

OpenJVS is a different (and imo better) approach for this sort of thing, as it runs on a Raspberry Pi with Linux and so allows any USB controller to be plugged in, and then the OpenJVS program to translate the USB protocol into the JVS protocol for any game you want. You need a Pi, and a USB to RS485 converter (converters are about £5 on ebay), a resistor and 2 wires to get it setup. Then you can use whatever unmodified USB peripheral you like :)

Oh now this is getting interesting :)

As a starter for 10, how easy would it be to setup gun and racers with a Naomi 2 multi Piforce system currently on a standard stick and buttons cab?

hi , i have an id5 cab and outrun from multi running on this , i noticed that with this game its impossible to adjust the wheel range ( test menu ) like many games . If you try To adjust left range it works and when you try right range nothing move , maybe because its for sdx cab or maybe as i read on top , problem with this patching version . Its impossible to play outrun 2 sp on a id cab with the same full range for id games . How do you do ? Thx .

Back