What's new

xb74

Grand Master
Reaction score
I spent about 3 hours on the phone and internet trying to figure this out. It requires a greater mind than my own :)

My PVM has only S-video input as its best PQ.

What are my equipment options to downscale/convert RGB signals (SCART and component) to the S-video input on this PVM?

I intend on using this PVM for multiple consoles and an all in one solution is sought.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I recommend you hunt down S-Video cables for the consoles that already have them (Dreamcast, PS2, etc.)

This reddit thread might help for the older consoles:
https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/ahdnrt/rgb_to_svideo/

"A Shinybow SB-3680 will convert RGB via SCART to composite video and s-video and it will maintain 240p. However it will only covert it to PAL not NTSC. If your monitor doesn’t have the ability to accept PAL your image will be black and white."

Both great options, many thanks mate! Going to dig in now.

My Google-Fu is weak, I know this...

Last edited:
Can you break out your setup to RCA for the RGBS input?

Does it mention if it needs separated HV sync or will it work with composite sync?

You could build a converter cable to take a SCART plug to RGBS, but if the Shinynow needs both H and V sync to function you might be outta luck?

The Otaku RGB switch would be useful in conjunction with this as it has RCA outputs for those signals with SCART input.

Nice price on the Shinybow too.

Last edited:
Can you break out your setup to RCA for the RGBS input?

Does it mention if it needs separated HV sync or will it work with composite sync?
What would the breakout look like ideally? Female SCART to 4xRCA?

Which device were you referring to with the second line?

You could build a converter cable to take a SCART plug to RGBS, but if the Shinynow needs both H and V sync to function you might be outta luck?

The Otaku RGB switch would be useful in conjunction with this as it has RCA outputs for those signals with SCART input.

Nice price on the Shinybow too.
I emailed js technology and they replied but I do need further clarification. Their device may have a NTSC only limitation.

Talking about the Shinybow. It specifies separate horizontal and vertical sync input, whereas arcade and console outputs a single composite sync output.

Sync can be horizontal and vertical, which the Shinybow seems to need. This is seen also with VGA cables.

I wonder if something cheap like this would do the trick for you?

svideoconvert.jpg

the Shinybow adapter sounds good but it only converts to PAL ! I wonder if this also would letter-box the image, PAL style :(

The JS tech one (NTSC v3) is nice
169-large.jpg

Then you could use the above adapter @djsheep.

Update - the parts arrived. Using the JStech (NTSC V3) with a simple plug converter as above.

Using a Minigun supergun and CPS2 board I get a heavily distorted garbled picture with terrible colours. The PVM detects a 480 signal. Same result with a Sega Saturn.

When I plug a DVD player in using a straight SVideo to SVideo cable in, I get perfect picture and the PVM detects 575 signal.

What am I doing wrong here?

I used to use my Jrok to convert RGB to NTSC (via svideo) and component video. They're specifically made for arcade gaming and convert the color space without changing the res and without adding any lag.

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

They work fairly well if you use decent (I.e. properly grounded) cables.

I used it to play arcade games (via a supergun) on an old Sony Trinitron which only had Svideo before I got my arcade monitors.

image.jpg

You could also use one of the Namco RGB to NTSC transcoders. They were used on their rear projection games in America.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Namco-RGB-...735564?hash=item2f4f3b174c:g:L1MAAOSwyJlfuyGQ

Back