Model 3 Racing games ..swapable?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Yes it it possible but model 3 is only model 3

if you want to play model 2 in a model 3 cabinet and vice versa you are way out of your comfort zone here as it’s takes loads of wiring new motors etc

for model 3 most of the times you have to switch the eprom for the force feedback depending on the game

also some games use 4 way shifters other only u/down

and some games have extra buttons etc. I think best way to play everything is to make a pc that runs model 2/3 etc and hack the steering wheel etc
    • AMS wrote:

Yes it it possible but model 3 is only model 3

if you want to play model 2 in a model 3 cabinet and vice versa you are way out of your comfort zone here as it’s takes loads of wiring new motors etc

for model 3 most of the times you have to switch the eprom for the force feedback depending on the game

and some games have extra buttons etc. I think best way to play everything is to make a pc that runs model 2/3 etc and hack the steering wheel etc
      Ok that Sounds Good. So basically I can play all model 3 racers with that cabinet. For the eprom switching: how is that done exactly?
    • On the steering pcb you change 1 eprom that contains the ffb codec for that game .

also remember that you have different steppings

model 3

step 1.0,1.5,2.0,2.1

Le Mans and scud racer is step 1.5 so you only need to change the rom board (Scud race uses also a dedicated extra sound board ) so it’s all not that easy

but if you want to play Daytona 2/ dirt devils/ eca etc those are step 2.2.1 so those will not boot on the 1.5 you need a dedicated cpu/video board to play those

step 2.0 and 2.1 is the same just a newer revision

I know it’s a little bit confusing but google model 3 first and learn about the steppings etc then proceed from there and what you want to play

The post was edited 1 time, last by AMS ().

• One thing to be aware of is that although Lemans is a Model 3 Step 1.5 game, Lemans 24 uses the older steering wheel motor + FFB boards that are found in games like Touring cars. It doesn't use the same steering wheel motor + FFB boards that are found in Sega Rally 2/Daytona 2/Scud Race etc.

As far as I'm aware you won't get FFB when playing other Model 3 games in a Lemans cabinet, but, you can put Lemans in a later model 3 game such as Daytona 2 and get FFB. I have tested Lemans in a Daytona 2 cabinet and although it's basic the FFB works well, there's an option in the service menu to change the FFB setting.
      Images
      • 20150123002138-BigPanik-volants.jpg

250.18 kB, 1,264×815, viewed 30 times
    • tenchu2x wrote:

AMS wrote:

Yes it it possible but model 3 is only model 3

Ok that Sounds Good. So basically I can play all model 3 racers with that cabinet. For the eprom switching: how is that done exactly?
      A French enthusiast has discribed a multibios setup for model 3 force feedback : rep-arcade.com/2019/02/sega-rally-2-multi-bios.html