What's new

Ajax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all, my name is Aaron, I'm from and currently live in Utah, USA.

Some of the fondest memories of my childhood were made in various arcades around SLC and the area. Don't laugh too hard, but I loved World Heroes when I was a kid and always dreamed about owning a Neo Geo. I got an MVU4 machine in the early 2000s, and had a few other cabs back then too. I've still got that MVU4, as well as a Big Red, and two Blast City cabs. I also lived in Japan for several years in my 20s, and spent a lot of time in various game centers around Shizuoka, Fuji, Yokohama, and Tokyo. Also, before I had any friends in Japan (and after, to a slightly lesser extent, I guess), I spent what was probably an unhealthy amount of time playing Ketsui in particular.

Spending time playing arcade games and working on arcade cabinets is very special to me, and I have a lot of love for this stuff. I wish I had registered an account on this site earlier, but it's nbd. I recognize there's an insane amount of knowledge around here, and I apologize in advance for asking what could very possibly turn out to be dumb questions. I'm not super technical (I generally tinker until something either begins working or breaks), but I'm very happy to answer questions where I'm able to.

Thank you for having me. I'm happy to be here, and looking forward to interacting with all of you. :thumbup:

Hey! Welcome! I am new to the site too.Its really cool you got to see Tokyo and play in the arcades too. I have a relative who works in Fukuoka prefecture, the pictures that my relative took of the arcades there are really awesome.

Ketsui is a great game! I was able to play it as well as Battle Garegga and ESP RE DA when i visited Vancouver.I am from Trinidad(In the Caribbean),the only japanese shooters Ive seen here is the Strikers series, Raiden series. I figure the market for these shooters is limited,Trinidad's arcade scene was always SF,the VS series,MK
Also NEO GEO had a following here(KOF,SS and Metal Slug)

I have NEO GEO 1 slot dynamo cab ,1 with a CPS2 board, also a supergun for my Atomiswave and IGS PGM boards.

Hey welcome! I’m heading to Utah in a week for a vacation. Any arcade recommendations? Haha! Definitely gonna check out Arcade galactica (think that was the name haha)

Hey! Welcome! I am new to the site too.Its really cool you got to see Tokyo and play in the arcades too. I have a relative who works in Fukuoka prefecture, the pictures that my relative took of the arcades there are really awesome.

Ketsui is a great game! I was able to play it as well as Battle Garegga and ESP RE DA when i visited Vancouver.I am from Trinidad(In the Caribbean),the only japanese shooters Ive seen here is the Strikers series, Raiden series. I figure the market for these shooters is limited,Trinidad's arcade scene was always SF,the VS series,MK

I have NEO GEO 1 slot dynamo cab ,1 with a CPS2 board, also a supergun for my Atomiswave and IGS PGM boards.
Thank you! It sounds like you've got some nice setups! I would love to visit Trinidad at some point. I actually had an Esprade pcb 13 or so years ago. I loved that thing so much, seriously regret selling it. Looking forward to reading your posts, my dude. ^^

Greetings fellow Utahn! I'm in the Logan area!!
Thank you! I have seen your posts over on n-g! Is that mall in Logan still operating? Always liked strolling through the Fun Unlimited up there.

Hey welcome! I’m heading to Utah in a week for a vacation. Any arcade recommendations? Haha! Definitely gonna check out Arcade galactica (think that was the name haha)
Thanks Chron! If these were normal times, I would invite you to the crib for some World Heroes Perfect matches. Maybe another time!

As far as arcades in UT go, not an awful lot happening now, but there's some good stuff here and there. There was a spot called Atomic that was really cool. It opened while I lived in Japan, but I went anytime I was back here visiting. The last time I went and the doors were actually open was at the end of 2018. It was in really bad shape then, and it closed down permanently sometime last year. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner is on here. He's a really good dude.

There's a spot called Nickel Mania (I think there are a few of these now, actually) in Murray that has some good games. I used to work there, and got robbed at knife point one time. I don't think getting robbed at knife point is typical of the experience though. They had Dimahoo, one of the Vs. games on CPS2 (maybe X Men vs. Street Fighter, can't remember exactly right now), some Neo Geo representation, a whole bunch of older stuff and a decent pin selection.

There's also a spot in Valley Fair mall that had some decent games, though I can't remember the name of this place.

Probably the best option will be Round 1 in Sandy, I guess. Some pretty decent stuff there. I was surprised how faithful it was to the various Round 1s I went to in Japan, to be honest. No shooting games, but it's been a long time since I've been, so who knows about the selection now?

Sorry for the text wall! Tldr, thank you for the welcome, there's some ok arcade action in UT if you're willing to dig in! ;)

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up buddy!!

Arcade Galactic in West Valley at the Valley Fair Mail is well worth checking out. They're one of the only US locations I know of that have an Exa-Arcadia with Aka & Blue setup. There's also a decent barcade named Quarters in Salt Lake City.

The Logan mall and Fun Unlimited are still going strong. If you're looking for obscure console games then Fun Un is well worth checking out. Only catch is that their prices are the same as Ebay so don't go there expecting any cheap deals.

Thank you! It sounds like you've got some nice setups! I would love to visit Trinidad at some point. I actually had an Esprade pcb 13 or so years ago. I loved that thing so much, seriously regret selling it. Looking forward to reading your posts, my dude. ^^
Hey thanks man!,Sucks about the Esprade pcb :( Trinidad has nice beaches especially on the north coast,the southern coast is IMHO meh, because of the tide carrying all the sediment from South America ,making the water muddy. Trinidad's other island ,Tobago is the place with the blue waters, coral
The closest I've been to Utah was Colorado .Went there on business, but was able to check the local dave n busters, was able to play some raw thrills games,especially Halo fireteam raven. That game was really good!

Back