What's new
I had problem flashing this firmware to some of chihiro type 3s. in my case the chihiro blacked out during firmware flashing status on 68%. thanksfully i bricked only one media board (error 22) and troubleshooted this problem. when it blacked out do not turn off the system it will reboots itself, otherwise it will brick your media board. chihiro is smart enough to restore its firmware, it will revert to version 2.00 (perhaps initial firmware). after that update your chihiro and net-dimm with CF-Box System Update Disc and keychip via GD-ROM then put your net-dimm to netboot mode and netboot keychip back and flash this firmware.

How do I update my system? Do I have to add this to gamelist file? Also does this fix a problem that when I go into the test menu the gamefile dumps off the ram and I have to reload the game?

You load it just like any other game. I've never heard of the problem you're encountering with the game dumping tho.

Well I do I just add it in the rom folder, if so it won't read it, I don't know where to put the file on the sd card. As for the game not staying in ram after hitting the test screen, It will give me a error 33, I think, once I leave the test screen everytime. The test menu will even say unknown game, so there will not be any game options

Oh with a computer, ok well I guess if I add it to the game list it should act like any other bootable game.

Just throwing this out there...
Are you loading the correct version of the game for the amount of ram you have in your Chihiro?
On my system, I can't mix 512MB and 1GB versions of games. I can only load 512MB versions with 512MB RAM installed, and 1GB games with 1GB of RAM installed.

[Sorry, saw the message that you had not gotten the update installed after I posted this.]

Yeah everything I put on it is 512, which is what I have, at least that's what the label says

Never mind, after about a a minute I get a Error 33 everytime now. Could it be the zerokey?

Everything was seemingly working fine before the update, granted I only had outrun 2sp running for like 20 minutes before trying the update on the chihiro. Jumpers are right and all.

Hi there.
I've upgraded my Chihiros T3 from netboot to CF. But I can't make them run with PIC CF files I have. If I use a PIC I own (from Darksoft, bought on a TriForce T3), they work well. PM me if you can help getting a working PIC.

As for BIOS chip, you likely mean a ZeroKey security chip. (The bios doesn't matter, as you can set the region once you upgrade your firmware anyway.)
I recently tried looking into why I can't boot Outrun_2_Special_Tours_512.bin on my Chihiro, I get an Error 05: This game is not acceptable by main board. The manual describes the following "Cause The game is a foreign edition"... "Countermeasures Use the domestic version of the game"

I have seen two solutions one of which does not work for me, and the other I can't quite find.
1. There seems to be a Region setting GDROM from NAMCO, has anyone got a copy of this image?
"Region flash software, available in 4 fruity flavours, Japan, Export, USA and Unknown, like the Triforce/Lindbergh, the Chihiro uses a 1 byte bitmask to define region, for example 0xE is Japan/USA/Export, while 0xC is USA/Export only, and 0x2 is Japan only. Unknown is FF so can run ALL applications."

2. Use the software test menu? Most folks say you only need 30 pushes inside the System Information menu.
"Press the Service button 30 times in a row and a hidden menu will appear to change the region."
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/chihiro.cpp#L166

Others say 15 to open up the Game ID menu, and then 30 more to pop open the Region change menu.
"press the service button 15 times, you will notice "Game ID" appear at the bottom of the screen... press the service button a further 30 times and you can then edit the region."
http://www.ukvac.com/forum/how-to-change-the-region-on-a-triforce-and-chihiro_topic328500.html

I can get the Game ID change after 15 pushes, but adding 30 more does nothing, I don't get the option to edit the Region. I've not double checked the PIC in this Chihiro, but does it *have* to be a netboot pic specifically for this Region edit to work? I think this one was using a random PIC just to get past the startup requirement, but remained tethered otherwise. Is that perhaps my issue?

Likewise if anyone has detail on that magical Namco GDROM I'd be keen.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 81
  • chihiro1.jpg
    chihiro1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 84
  • chihiro2.jpg
    chihiro2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 74
  • chihiro3.jpg
    chihiro3.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 77
Yes, I seem to remember you need a netboot pic. Otherwise the edit region like in your chihiro3.jpg will not appear.

There is a fourth method to change the region. If you have the firmware update image, it contains 2 xbe programs.
One simply runs the firmware update. The other is a sega chihiro test program. You could try to change the name of the program in the boot.id file. This file contains 2 names. One is the program to boot normally, the other the program to boot when you go into 'in game test" menu. Mayby you simply can enter that test program by going into "in game test" mode (Not sure if it's enabled to be launched like that)

Changing the name in boot.id should work unless they perform a hash check on that file. If that's the case you could try altering the file names in the image fatx.

The test program has an option to change the region.

Back