What's new

Hisoka89

Student
Reaction score
hi, i am planning to buy an atomiswave mainboard but looking for a very good condition one and i found a guy on ebay who sells new ones but without the logo, he says that they removed the logo because of copyrights issues, how can this be true ? Can i trust him ? Do they continue to produce atomiswave nowadays ?

No new boards being produced.
There are some places that still have new old stock.
Here in Australia there is a supplier that has them and they are similar ie. No logo or expansion covers.

“New old stock untested” runs the risk of being very clean but very dead. I see one eBay seller showing photos of a whole unit disassembled and my first thought was “that heatsync paste should be adhered to the processors and if it’s not it’s going to need to be reapplied.” If they all come apart that easy you should 100% fix that before playing it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392691830228

@sheep_nova will do you a good deal on one of these. Just tell him you want a clean unit with labels/port covers.

There is some other story behind the Atomiswave mobos that ulalajko has on eBay, but it is not clear. We believe they were manufactured by SEGA and not Sammy. They are the final version of the Atomiswave hardware, some custom parts are labeled differently, and also have a different BIOS -- it shows a black screen instead of the Sammy logo when it boots.

Yeah this is dead tech even if someone wanted to reproduce and re manufacture boards like Naomi or Atomiswave or anything that's not off the shelf parts is basically impossible or a complete waste of money.

These processors alone are custom fabricated and even if you got the designs and rights to make them, good luck having volume high enough to have a chip manufacture run a line to make the silicon dies and stuff. Its much like the way of the CRT its lost to the ages, designers die or retire and forget. You need large volume to make it remotely economically viable and affordable.

Any who,
These are probably old stock from manufacturing reserves. Who knows if any of them are DOA from the manufacturer eons ago though. Still pretty cool to even see old stock like this floating around.

As someone mentioned @sheep_nova is a trust worthy person cant go wrong there. I know plenty of friends that bought from them.

If this seller cant test these boards ahead of time for you or at least maybe offer assistance,exchange, or return if its dead (I mean they are unused right). Then I would pass on his offering even if it is clean.

Good luck getting your Atomiswave its got some pretty fun games on it :D

so it would be better to avoid it. I will definitly contact the person you mentionned
But why they came without logos/labels or covers ?

Its up to you if you want to avoid them. Maybe ask the seller more about the item first?

Not sure why it would come without logos. The only thought is it was extra units stored after they were built back in the day. So they might have applied the stickers by hand or something before selling to a customer ?(

Yeah this is dead tech even if someone wanted to reproduce and re manufacture boards like Naomi or Atomiswave or anything that's not off the shelf parts is basically impossible or a complete waste of money.

These processors alone are custom fabricated and even if you got the designs and rights to make them, good luck having volume high enough to have a chip manufacture run a line to make the silicon dies and stuff. Its much like the way of the CRT its lost to the ages, designers die or retire and forget. You need large volume to make it remotely economically viable and affordable.

Any who,
These are probably old stock from manufacturing reserves. Who knows if any of them are DOA from the manufacturer eons ago though. Still pretty cool to even see old stock like this floating around.

As someone mentioned @sheep_nova is a trust worthy person cant go wrong there. I know plenty of friends that bought from them.

If this seller cant test these boards ahead of time for you or at least maybe offer assistance,exchange, or return if its dead (I mean they are unused right). Then I would pass on his offering even if it is clean.

Good luck getting your Atomiswave its got some pretty fun games on it :D
it's Holly (the PowerVR) that's custom, the hitachi SH4 is off the shelves.

I picked up one of the NOS on eBay when it went on sale. I made the decision after two motherboards I had gotten weren’t working. I learned that some diodes fail and the board stops reading button inputs.

Anyway, seems to work fine And I’m happy with it.

Back