What's new

Aurich

Legendary
Reaction score
I didn't realize someone had made software to allow you to tweak color palettes, here's a complete Third Strike redo someone did:

Just curious, what would it take to run something like this on real CPS3 hardware? Is that possible or a giant headache? I know things like 4th Strike have been supported so it's at least in theory possible, but maybe not actually practical.

This is the software used to do custom color palettes if anyone is curious about it:

http://zachd.com/mvc2/colors/

I don't think I'd actually want to run that above hack, it's a bit extreme for me, but the idea of doing some custom tweaks to surprise people on the cabs is kinda fun.

This is the software used to do custom color palettes if anyone is curious about it:

http://zachd.com/mvc2/colors/

I don't think I'd actually want to run that above hack, it's a bit extreme for me, but the idea of doing some custom tweaks to surprise people on the cabs is kinda fun.
Unrelated, but man some of the best fun used to be watching marvel tournaments with peoples random mixes and messed up colors. Definitely one of my favorite parts about dreamcast tournaments.

It works without any issues.

The 51 file can be replaced within whatever ISO you use and it will work. Any color mods for the other games will work as well.

It works without any issues.

The 51 file can be replaced within whatever ISO you use and it will work. Any color mods for the other games will work as well.
Really, well then. Might be time to tinker with some things for fun.

I was playing with this the other day, just to see how some photoshop techniques would work to made stage palette adjustments where it's tricky to do it on a per-color basis. I've always found Ibuki's stage (and Elena's, that one is trickier though) a little annoying because of how monochromatic it feels, and how closely it matches her default color.

With some adjustments you can keep the feel of the stage with just a little more dynamic range, I think it's an improvement without feeling weird. Now I'm motivated to tinker more.

upscaled-sfiii-3s-ibuki-1080.jpg

@Aurich high likely it will work on real PCB.
as I see this mod change only sfiii3-simm5.6 and sfiii3-simm5.7 files = no game code or data changes (which may not work on real CPS3) but just some palette/gfx tweaks

@Aurich high likely it will work on real PCB.
as I see this mod change only sfiii3-simm5.6 and sfiii3-simm5.7 files = no game code or data changes (which may not work on real CPS3) but just some palette/gfx tweaks
I'm taking the plunge, so I'll report back. Doing this Ibuki stage mod has been a pain, Photoshop shuffles the order of indexed palettes in what feels like an arbitrary fashion, modifying ten 256 color indexed palettes was turning into a real slog. But I think I found a way to automate a lot of it with a change to my techniques. It means some adjustments to the stage look, I'm losing some of the green in the trees and getting a little bit more of a crushed saturated feel, but same basic idea.

If you're a Photoshop nerd I'm losing the ability to overlay color since I have to work entirely in Indexed Color mode, and don't have access to layers. Everything has to be done with Color Balance and Levels and the adjustment tools available in Indexed mode.

So if what I'm doing works the stage will look something like this:

ibuki-stage-mod-vers2.jpg

Character palettes are cake compared to this, but I wanted to tackle something more ambitious first. There are ten palettes for the stage, each 256 colors (with some unused slots you still have to keep in the right order). So basically I need to do this ten times:

ibuki-palettes.jpg

I did four of them by hand, one square at a time, before figuring out a way to avoid that after it was becoming tedious enough to motivate some creative thinking heh.

Awesome work, @Aurich! The results look ridiculously good on Ibuki's stage. Excited to see if you can get this running on the OG hardware as it now seems likely.

I'll keep things updated as I make progress. Still tinkering with this Ibuki stuff. Why I don't know, none of us play Ibuki, and the chances of seeing her stage during play against anything but the CPU is minimal right now, but it's still a fun problem to solve. And when I do see it I'll be happy.

After that I'll tinker with some character stuff, which will be way easier. Planning on keeping things more subtle there, in line with this Ibuki change, in that I'd like to make tweaks that feel like they belong better. That mod I linked above is a little too all over the map and wild for my tastes.

@Aurich:

how are you doing this?
PALMOD?
I have darksoft mod and the ISO

which file needs to be modded. so all changes are done to the disc?

Attachments

• 3Smod.png
    3Smod.png
    57.6 KB · Views: 152
Can we make Elena's clothes match her skin color?

Asking for a friend... ;)

my friend makes the MOD
i just want to know which files on thr Darksoft Multi CD do i need to rewrite

so my friend did his custom it seems to be eprom based does it need to be converted to CHD?

come on people lets get together to figure out how to do this mod to work on OG hardware via DARKSOFT!

Attachments

• CPS3.png
    CPS3.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 150
If a stage needs to be modded, the Elena stage should be on the top of the list. That stage hurts my eyes on a CRT

so my friend did his custom it seems to be eprom based does it need to be converted to CHD?
We will need to find and replace the original hex values inside the CHD with the values provided by the modder.
Then we can write the SIMs using this new disc image (or actual CD-R if you have OG drive)... Keep in mind we might also need to patch/adjust the hash/CRC information to match post edit.
I'm pretty sure this won't prevent a DS cart from booting, so it may be optional.

Back