What's new

popinadam

Student
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for either a diagram or photos of how the AIME card reader links up to the IO and control panel in Sega Lindbergh universal cabinets. I know the basic idea of how it is supposed to connect but I want to have a harness made up and try to get it as close to original as possible without having to hack up my existing harness. Shoot me some messages if anyone has this setup in their cab. Thanks!

FYI, my AIME card reader is the one that sits below the monitor right above where the test/service/IO panel is and NOT the one that is built into the joystick/buttons control panel.

2cBfofMm.jpg

I'm interested in this too... I think I managed to reverse-engineer the pinout for this harness but I never got around to building it, it'd be nice to get the info straight from a manual though.

From what I gather it's got a standard RS232 serial interface routed to the external PCB and then a USB connection that it uses just for 5V power.

@Lemony Vengeance if building the serial/power harness for these readers is something you'd like to do I'd be interested in buying a couple of them :) Once you're caught up of course :)

my brain is still a bit mushy from boiling during my fight with covid-19, so lemme spend some time looking at this and develop something that's as plug and play as possible.

I'll be making a few of these, as this has been requested by a few people as well.

take your time. done beating covid and croak later becuase you want to go full throttle in secs

I have to ask, what do you guys do with your Aime readers?

I have two panels here. Wondering if I should hang onto them or not.

I mean the readers are worth ~$50, at least that's what I paid for mine. I plan on just mounting the reader to the PCB as it doesn't need to be mounted to a panel or cab for my use.

FWIW @ekorz offered me a free panel with a reader and I turned him down because I didn't have much use for it beyond removing the reader and trashing the rest of it.

finding the harnesses to connect the reader to the PCB however has been extremely difficult, it seemss a few people who own lindbergh cabs have them pre-installed but outside of that I've yet to find one for sale anywhere, and I've never even see a wiring diagram describing how the reader is supposed to connect to the PCB; hence why I had to figure it out just probing the reader PCB.

My card reader has that little stubby sub-harness with the black jacket and I'm missing everything else.

yours is actually different than the 1 other picture I've seen. the other ones I've seen had a black jacketed cable that went from that connector all the way to the serial connector and near the serial connector it split off to a USB OTG connector for power.

interesting that yours taps power from control panel harness. that might not be viable on a Vewlix cab as I don't believe there is normally 5V available on control panel harness.

Funny story, it actually came off of a Vewlix. I don't have Vewlix to check here, but I have the adapter that sits between the Sega wiring harness and the Vewlix CP, and it looks like +5V is on pin 15 on the J connector.

I guess you figured out the wiring for the card reader, but let me know if you need something checked.

I guess you figured out the wiring for the card reader, but let me know if you need something checked.
I'll have to remember where I put my notes but I wouldn't mind you confirming my pinout. (once I find it)

This was the pinout I calculated:
colors are obviously from the card reader side of the connector.

JST SM Series connector
1 red: power connector Vcc (+5V)
2 orange: RS232 Pin 3 (TX)
3 pink: RS232 Pin 2 (RX)
4 black: RS232 Pin 5 (GND)
5 blue: N/A (alt RS232 TX)
6 green: N/A (alt RS232 RX)
7 black: N/A (alt RS232 GND)
8 black: power connector Vss (GND)

it's possible I have the RX / TX pins backwards but if you could confirm the pinout with your harness that would be awesome :)

Last edited:
Hey Lemony, do you think you can reverse engineer that weird resistor needed to tap into U+D on P1 so we can make our own home button to use for Pras2 or Niko multis?

update on my end, Thanks to help from @Cereth with graciously providing reference harnesses (and gentle prodding and reminders), This is the next mass-produced project I have on my bench

This will be a full kit, meaning

Serial cable - 4 ft (605-022?) (thank you for the pinout above, @twistedsymphony!)
Home button harness (605-0226)

Length wise, this should help out with the peeps who have the card reader in the center of the cabinet, rather than right on the CP.

I also have a harness that plugs the card reader into the button harness with a pass through (605-0229) but given that I'll be including the Serial cable itself, I'm not sure that's needed.

I will be making 50 sets.

I'll try to keep the cost on these as low as possible but damned if the connectors aren't as rare as hen's teeth, it seems.

Back