What's new

owlnonymous

Student
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my Naomi 2 net boot up and working in my Egret 2. Currently I am getting a Error 01.

Can you run a naomi 2 w/net dimm off a capcom i/o? The capcom i/o works fine with a VF4 cart.

The naomi net dimm was previously working with sega i/o and separate power supply setup.

I need to make a power cable to power the old setup and test the net dimm that way.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can. You just can't power the Naomi with the Capcom I/O while using the NetDimm. The power from the Capcom I/O is not sufficient to run a Naomi and NetDimm together. You'll have to power the Naomi directly from the PSU through the CN1 & CN2 connector. You'll also need to power the Capcom I/O through the Jamma edget connector.

Yeah, you can. You just can't power the Naomi with the Capcom I/O while using the NetDimm. The power from the Capcom I/O is not sufficient to run a Naomi and NetDimm together. You'll have to power the Naomi directly from the PSU through the CN1 & CN2 connector. You'll also need to power the Capcom I/O through the Jamma edget connector.
Ahh, that's a shame. I just picked up the Capcom I/O to simplify my rig. I might as well go back to the working sega setup I had working, and sell the Capcom I/O. Thanks

image.jpg
The main reason I wanted to ditch the power supply, and everything else, is that in it's current config, it won't fit on my cab. The Naomi 2 is from a VF4 cab.

image.jpg
The main reason I wanted to ditch the power supply, and everything else, is that in it's current config, it won't fit on my cab. The Naomi 2 is from a VF4 cab.
You can ditch the ISO transformer entirely (you simply don't need it), and the audio amp (audio will go through the Capcom I/O).

Mount the Naomi 2, Capcom I/O, and PSU to the board. Or optionally put the PSU on the floor of the cab and mount the other two items to the board.

It should all fit nicely. I've seen guys with GD-ROM setups in AWSD cabs, and that's the same amount of stuff (GD-ROM is close enough to the size of the SUN PSU).

OR purchase an AWSD/Egret 3/Vewlix Wei-Ya Power Supply. It'll replace the switching PSU you have mounted there, and eliminate the need for the SUN as well.

This is the PSU I was referring to:

http://imgur.com/QKAFzPh

It would eliminate both PSU's you have in the cab already without killing your ability to still use JAMMA stuff.

If you go that route I have a few cabs that I can take pics of to help with wiring.

I'm just seeing this now. Arcade Mod bios sells a "SEGANAOMI1 with NETDIMM 512MB andCapcom Converter (pimped to supply whole system with enogh power on3.3V), Jamma 15khz and 31khz supported! 400EUR 1x system in stock".

Does anyone know what this mod entails?

It is probably just an ATX extension cable terminated to connect separately to a Naomi's power connectors on CN1 and CN2 along with a Capcom I/O. You can't pimp out a Capcom I/O to juice the NAOMI enough to power a NetDimm. You have to feed it some sort of external power. Capcom I/O was really designed to overcome the fact that most arcade conversions do so on cabs that have just 5v & 12v power. Once you have have a Dimm/NetDimm, you need 3.3v and more amps. Capcom I/O just can't source enough of Naomi's power requirements through the JAMMA edge connector.

Capcom I/O just can't source enough of Naomi's power requirements through the JAMMA edge connector.
That seems a bit crazy that there would be any limit imposed by the Capcom adapter itself as long as the PSU can supply it to the JAMMA edge, and I definitely have to say that I've run a N2+Netdimm+CF off a New Astro city using the Capcom IO in the past, BUT the PSU was the Model 3 JAMMA/JVS "brick"

I'd put my money on a weak internal PSU than the Capcom IO preventing it actively.

Did you have the Capcom I/O connected both CN1 and CN2 on the NAOMI? Or was there another splice from the PSU to either CN1 or CN2.

just straight PSU->JAMMA harness->Capcom->Naomi
I don't recall- I've only ever had to plug in the right (I think it is) plug on the naomi anyway to power it, but I likely plugged in both to the capcom to keep the wires out of the way.

I also think this worked on my blast- now note, I always adjust my PSU output voltages to compensate for the loads...

I've since rewired the Astro's with Trisync Chassis, Naomi Amps, Sega Type 1 I/O, and the full Naomi wiring harness, so there's that and I can't easily replicate the tests, sorry!

It is probably just an ATX extension cable terminated to connect separately to a Naomi's power connectors on CN1 and CN2 along with a Capcom I/O. You can't pimp out a Capcom I/O to juice the NAOMI enough to power a NetDimm. You have to feed it some sort of external power. Capcom I/O was really designed to overcome the fact that most arcade conversions do so on cabs that have just 5v & 12v power. Once you have have a Dimm/NetDimm, you need 3.3v and more amps. Capcom I/O just can't source enough of Naomi's power requirements through the JAMMA edge connector.
The NAOMI needs 3.3v no matter what, cart or DIMM.

The issue is the capcom IO cannot provide enough amperage on 3.3 to power a dimm setup properly.

The Capcom IO does the conversion for 3.3v internally. I would suspect it sources the input voltage from the 5v rail.

Theoretically if your JAMMA PSU had enough amps on the 5v rail, you could replace the 3.3v regulator/conversion circuit in the capcom IO to one that supports enough amps to run the NAOMI with a DIMM board. I've never seen this mod but I could certainly understand how it might be possible.

In other words I don't think the issue is a JAMMA PSU lack of amperage, but rather, the capcom IO's internal 3.3v conversion not being able to provide enough amps.

I had the same problem as you, and here's the solution I came up with. My Naomi 2 setup:

Notice that I am using the power from the Capcom adapter, but whats that on the top right?
naomi1.JPG

Why, it's a Dreamcast power supply!

naomi2.JPG

It's got all of the voltages you need!

naomi3.JPG

And it easily hooks up to the Naomi with the proper connector

naomi4.JPG

Is it safe!?! I assume so. Been using mine for ~4 years now. I wouldn't use it in a business environment, but it seems to be fine for my home usage. When testing with a multimeter, it gives rock-solid 3.3v, 5v, and 12v. Cheap and easy to do. A real arcade project. :P

Are you backfeeding power into the capcom IO? Normally if I'm using a separate PSU I don't even use the power connector on the IO, I just power it over JAMMA. That's a nifty trick though, I've seen people use DC PSU's before.

Edit: wait, it seems like you're powering the NAOMI from both the IO and the DC PSU? If it works, it works, but that seems like a really bad idea. Providing two different sources of 5v and 3.3v can't be good for sensitive chips. Ideally you can power the NAOMI itself just from the DC PSU, and the IO from JAMMA, and disconnect the power cable between the two.

Last edited:
The NAOMI needs 3.3v no matter what, cart or DIMM.
The issue is the capcom IO cannot provide enough amperage on 3.3 to power a dimm setup properly.

The Capcom IO does the conversion for 3.3v internally. I would suspect it sources the input voltage from the 5v rail.

Theoretically if your JAMMA PSU had enough amps on the 5v rail, you could replace the 3.3v regulator/conversion circuit in the capcom IO to one that supports enough amps to run the NAOMI with a DIMM board. I've never seen this mod but I could certainly understand how it might be possible.

In other words I don't think the issue is a JAMMA PSU lack of amperage, but rather, the capcom IO's internal 3.3v conversion not being able to provide enough amps.
Right. I should have just said it needs more amps.

Back