What's new

bartre

Professional
Reaction score
hey all-

The fan on my Atomiswave is good and noisy.
I know there fan is a 3 pin 40mm X 10mm fan, but I can't find a replacement that's drop in.
Anyone know where I can get a drop in replacement?
Or am I stuck soldering the 3 wires?

There isn't a drop in.

I've used a few types. See below.

CUI CFM-4010V-150-157-20 (Cheap and quiet)
Flow: 5.3cfm Noise: 15.7dB(A) 5000 RPM

Noctua nf-a4x10-flx (Not so cheap and quiet)
Flow: 4.8cfm Noise: 17.9 dB(A) 4500 RPM

Don't forget to bridge ground and speed sense

Last edited:
There isn't a drop in.

I've used a few types. See below.

CUI CFM-4010V-150-157-20 (Cheap and quiet)
Flow: 5.3cfm Noise: 15.7dB(A) 5000 RPM

Noctua nf-a4x10-flx (Not so cheap and quiet)
Flow: 4.8cfm Noise: 17.9 dB(A) 4500 RPM

Don't forget to bridge ground and speed sense
Something I forgot as an additional PSA, NEVER use the atomiswave stereo JST plug for audio out if you are doing a home setup as it WILL break downstream components. ;(

Use jamma audio or wire in a stereo phono jack or RCA sockets to unamplified audio.
There is a good DIY here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Adding_RCA_Sockets_for_Stereo_Amp_to_Atomiswave

Great info, I just bought an Atomiswave mobo and it's loud as hell!

I'll be replacing the fan for sure.

Thanks!

:D

Something I forgot as an additional PSA, NEVER use the atomiswave stereo JST plug for audio out if you are doing a home setup as it WILL break downstream components. ;(
Use jamma audio or wire in a stereo phono jack or RCA sockets to unamplified audio.
There is a good DIY here: https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Adding_RCA_Sockets_for_Stereo_Amp_to_Atomiswave
Thanks!I'm curious about the JST plug breaking stuff.
any idea why that happens?
I don't know why, maybe a voltage spike? I've dealt with the aftermath, a scart switch that needed repair and a tv that has been not quite right since.

The reason why is that JST output is stereo amplified and not line level. If you connect it to anything line level it will in turn get amplified AGAIN resulting in either your amplifier on your board dying or amp on motherboard dying from overheating.

Usually when people connect amplified audio to something like an amplifier they use a high to low converter.

Does this mean you can wire the stereo output directly to the speaker without destroying the motherland?

Just asking because I like to run an atomiswave inside my MVS cabinet which has buid in stereo support. My current plan was to use an Big Red Adapter from JNX.

Thank you very much!

The reason why is that JST output is stereo amplified and not line level. If you connect it to anything line level it will in turn get amplified AGAIN resulting in either your amplifier on your board dying or amp on motherboard dying from overheating.

Usually when people connect amplified audio to something like an amplifier they use a high to low converter.
This 200% and yet I see people neglecting it on so many occasions and just wire straight RCA plugs to this stereo header.
There is even some jackass on Ebay selling premade adapters from the JST XH to RCA ffs... :(

same for several other boards like Neogeo MVS btw... or Konami boards with stereo headers

ahhhh, kinda figured that was the case.
So if you use the tap points on the guide, its pulling unamped audio?

In the case of the atomiswave though the output pooched a scart switch which is a throughput device.

thanks! I'll be making that mod when I do the fan replacement too

while I'm at it, got a part number for the pin header and connector used in that guide?
I've got DuPont connectors handy, but a keyed connector is probably a good idea

This 200% and yet I see people neglecting it on so many occasions and just wire straight RCA plugs to this stereo header.There is even some jackass on Ebay selling premade adapters from the JST XH to RCA ffs... :(

same for several other boards like Neogeo MVS btw... or Konami boards with stereo headers
General consensus if you do something stupid like that is to keep the volume low on the arcade board if sending to a amp/line level device. Less chance of blowing out your amp since the initial signal isn't fully erect. Turn it up at the device, not the other way around.

Seems dumb but it is technically more safe. Best way is have the knowledge that a high to low converter is cheap and makes this so much safer. Much better than replacing the amp on your receiver/board + other stuff when it gets done having a battle of amplification.

This 200% and yet I see people neglecting it on so many occasions and just wire straight RCA plugs to this stereo header.There is even some jackass on Ebay selling premade adapters from the JST XH to RCA ffs... :(
General consensus if you do something stupid like that is to keep the volume low on the arcade board if sending to a amp/line level device. Less chance of blowing out your amp since the initial signal isn't fully erect. Turn it up at the device, not the other way around.

Seems dumb but it is technically more safe. Best way is have the knowledge that a high to low converter is cheap and makes this so much safer. Much better than replacing the amp on your receiver/board + other stuff when it gets done having a battle of amplification.
agreed, but how many amps got blown because of people plugging in a board with turned up volume on the board itself etc.
I know it 'can' be safe, but personally I use a high/low converter always for stuff like this. Made a few adapter cables so I can plug it into any board I have with stereo headers

Back