What's new

adgenet

Professional
Reaction score
My friend picked up a 4thmix plus upgrade kit in Japan many years ago, and wants to know what's involved in running it.
From what I've found, he needs to find and buy a "digital" system 573. I'm not sure how to tell the difference when searching for one though. I also heard about some issue with an RTC clock chip that self destructs. Are all 573s affected?

The real question is though, what does he need to get DDR 4th mix plus running on a 573?
Does he need to find an original (non-plus) 4th mix cd and security cart?
The manual mentions a security cart for the actual4th plus game, while he only has the install cart for 4th plus.
Is his upgrade kit incomplete?
What does he need to buy at a minimum?

Pic of what he has:
62207093790__DD1EC3A0-054D-482F-BAE8-7D46F1B3B72E.jpg

the Digital vs Analog refers to the sub-board within the System 573, Any of the DDR 573s used by 3rd mix or newer will be digital, I believe all of the non-DDR games (and 1st/2nd Mix) are analog only.

As for the RTC, if you program an EPROM you can flash a new, not-dead RTC, generally though if they die you just have to hold the test button during boot to get past the error. There are people that sell RTC replacement kits too.

Installing System 573 games changes from game to game
- Some games you just install the cart and disc and you're done
- Some games you need to install the cart and disk flip the dip switch to install mode wait for it to install then flip it back.
- Some games have separate install and game mode discs.
- Some games have separate install and game mode discs AND separate carts.

As for which one 4th Mix Plus is? I'd be willing to bet that manual explains it :)

Thanks for the info.
It sounds like the kit is missing the 4th mix plus game cart shown on step 3 here.
It also sounds like it hardcodes itself to a specific system once the cart is used.
Maybe this won't work at all without a complete set?

62207146436__5A211035-2DEC-4F46-94A4-E633982BD208.jpg

It also sounds like it hardcodes itself to a specific system once the cart is used.
Maybe this won't work at all without a complete set?
yes and no, there is a flash cart and some flash roms on the system 573, when you install a game it programs these things with game specific info,

this may not be 100% correct but IIRC some carts will pair themselves to the mobo to prevent installation on other mobos but I don't believe you will ever have the mobo locked down to a specific game.

it sounds like If you want to play this game you'll need an appropriate mobo and that game cart.

IMO not worth playing unless you have a DDR cab, and I wouldn't value this kit very highly, maybe worth $50-$60? There are people that collect these carts and I'm not one of them so I could be off but that's what I typically see DDR cart+disc sets going for.

Back