What's new

peradam

Student
Reaction score
I have an Astro City with a Nanao MS9. The previous owner had done some repairs on the cabinet and had removed the 15 pin AMP-UP connector from the chassis and spliced the wires directly onto the power/RGB lines. I'm now trying to add the 15 pin connector to make future removal of the monitor/chassis easy. I found https://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/4/49/Ms9pinout.png which is the pinout for the MS9, but it seems to have 2 wires for the degauss while I have 3 wires (green, black, yellow) for degauss on mine...

update: I mistakenly identified the monitor as an MS8, it is actually an MS9, post edited to reflect this

Last edited:
I found wiki.arcadeotaku.com/images/4/49/Ms9pinout.png which is for the MS9, is it possible the MS8 uses the same pinout?
It's not monitor specific, it's manufacturer specific. That's the connector that Sega used from Astro City up to Net City and everything in between (Blast, Versus, Naomi Universal, sitdown racing games, etc). So yes, it's the correct pinout for any monitor that goes in those cabs.

It's not possible you have three wires for degauss. Do you mind taking a pic?

My mistake, after comparing my chassis with photos online, this seems to actually be an MS9. I'll update the post.
I assume these three yellow/black/green wires are for degauss, but I could be wrong. They are not actually connected to anything, the cabinet does not have the original power supply so they are not wired to a momentary button. I plan to replace the power supply with an original so that's why I'd like to get the connector wired correctly.

Attachments

• IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    707.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
It's totally possible the previous owner had reused a different set of wires that had the same JST connector. I'll give it a shot later by bridging the black and yellow wires.
Thanks for the help!

One more question...is there a specific polarity on the power connection on the chassis? I have a white and gray wire going to CN901, I assume the white wire goes to AC (hot) on the pinout diagram?

Attachments

• 59DA5800-9959-4C8C-B50B-9BC768D54B01.jpeg
    59DA5800-9959-4C8C-B50B-9BC768D54B01.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 122
The silk screen says L and N or line and neutral. Line is the same as hot. If that connector is polarized it should only go on one way?

not sure why degauss would be three wires? It’s usually just a switch and the other part is two wires that go to the coil.

I assumed that was the case, but figured I'd ask here first before I risk damaging the chassis. Thanks!

AC polarity doesn't really matter with this chassis. In some cabs the AC input wiring has a normal JPN plug at the end (like in my Kyotaro). Those can (and will) be plugged both ways into the cab, effectively swapping live and neutral. I have no idea which way my cabs are wired and I don't worry about it.

Just adding to this thread, I recently received two MS9 chassis and they both had 3 wires like @peradam found on his. I Checked pin 5, where the third wire goes, and it's just connected to ground on the chassis.

I dunno why it was used for the previous system, but it's definitely a thing.

Back