What's new

Cookie

Professional
Reaction score
So, I have a groovymame cab that i will be using a lot. It's running video and controls through the JPAC. All works well there.

My question is, in my Namco Exceleena cab, with original wiring and PSU, I know i'm not supposed to run the PSU with no load on it, and that's what happens with the JPAC. JPAC puts no load on the 5v or 12v lines of the original PSU.

So... here's what i've done. I've rigged up a harness that lets me plug the JPAC in, as well as a JAMMA board which only runs the 5v/12v/ground lines. So i'll have my JPAC plugged in, as well as a old single slot neo geo board i have and that will put load on the 5v/12v on the switching PSU.

I just wanted to get advice from people who are more knowledgeable than I am, is this a bad idea? If yes, why? I can't see any reaason why it's a bad idea. The JPAC is running, the Neo Geo board is putting standard load on 5v/12v on the psu... all's happy!

Here's a picture of what i'm talking about.

I know the Neo Geo board is running ok, because i moved the video wires to that harness and it's playing fine. So it's just sitting there playing along as i have the cab turned on and i'm using it for my mame/jpac setup. You can't see the Neo board working, but it's serving it's purpose of putting load on the switching PSU.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's fine. Alternatively you could have put cement resistors on the power rails or disconnected the PSU entirely (although I guess the JPAC needs some power?), but yeah, that's absolutely fine.

Someone will question if it's needed at all, but there's certainly no harm to it.

Back