What's new

blaze

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just installed my kit and everything works great except for some reason, I'm only getting one working sound channel from the RCA sockets working. I've tried 2 different A broads and both show the same problem.
The stereo sound from the RCA works with a normal B broad installed. I'm using a revision 7 with a PAL F+Cable with the kit. I've checked that everything is seated properly in their sockets, not sure what's causing it.

Wondering if any one had any ideas to what could be causing sound to only come through one channel on the RCA sockets?

Thanks, for any help.

blaze.

I'm not sure why you are getting just one channel but I do know you need an amp to get good sound from the RCAs on CPS2.

yea, it's weird. It's going through a stereo amp and if I put a normal B broad in I get sound on both channels, It's only when I'm using the multi cart.

I have stereo sound, however if I separate the left and right audio channels... The left channel is noticeably louder than the right. Not by a lot, but it is noticeable.

I too am using sound directly from the A-board RCA's, my amp is the XRGB Mini set to about 30~34.

I never noticed this before the multi cart, I also never tested it. I was playing around with sound trying to lessen the crackling, that's when I first discovered it.

I had a similar problem with a battery b board, audio through 1 channel only...

what I did was hold down volume - and then powered on the cps2 system and it seemed to reset the audio and I got stereo once again.

worth a try

The volume chips pair are actually capable of balance control. The CPS2 hardware just does not have buttons installed to allow you to interact with the balance control.

I have this same problem, except when I try the fix (that I've seen posted many places) I still only get audio from one side (left).

Sorry to revive old post - I installed my board in an arcade with stereo sound and one of the Channels is MUCH louder than the other. Holding the volume button (I held volume Up since my Down button broke) doesn’t reset the sound. Any ideas?

Order some 3D Printed buttons and try holding volume down since it seems to work for many people, though not all, or if possible see if you can use something to trigger the volume down button temporarily just for the fix even holding down a simple wire jumper may be find if the button is completely dead - waiting on HAS & Feb Pre-Order of CPS2 Multi to arrive myself, hoping I don’t run into any of these issues

this is a very common issue that is unavoidable when you switch from mono to stereo, you have turn the volume all down then all up to reset to get the cps2 aware that you have switched to the stereo output. I'm not sure about the exact procedure but I always try many things to get to this.

Check your -5V (negative 5 volts) line.

CPS2 will not output QSound if -5V is missing.

My cps2 outputs sound without -5v with one of my superguns that doesn't support -5v

It outputs sound, but not qsound. Follow the -5v trace, its used on cps2 mobos.

@ZERO_MILES almost no Japan game boards use -5v FYI... Certainly not CPS1, CPS1.5, CSP2 and CPS3.
They ALL work perfectly fine/with sound, no -5v needed whatsoever!

It's the American shit that most often needs negative voltages bro (Midway boards).
My cps2 outputs sound without -5v with one of my superguns that doesn't support -5v
Same, my Vewlix Capcom only outputs +5v and +12v (the official Taito JAMMA kit like so many candy cabs don't even include negative, because again NO Japan boards really use it).
CPS2 works perfectly fine/with sound.
DDzzR12.jpg

Yes I'm using a RECO here so I could easily add a Negatron IF I wanted too, but none is attached in this image (and everything is still working fine).
The (JVS) Wei Ya PSU Taito uses in Vewlix cabs totally lacks the ability for negative, +3.3v, +5v and +12v ONLY!
qQ3Ebby.jpg

Haha, see I wasn't going to even post this... I thought by liking Frank's post ZERO would realize his mistake and just drop it.
As he is still insisting -5v is needed for sound I figured the time was at hand. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said -5V is required for sound.

I said QSOUND uses -5V.

Still, I have to admit it -- I went to Assemblergames to double check the information, and lo and behold, there was a post saying you needed -5V for QSOUND output.

So I decided to open up one of my CPS2 mobos, and -5V goes nowhere.

So there you go, there is no need for -5V in this case, and I was mistaken.

almost no Japan game boards use -5v FYI
Nothing wrong with mistakes, we all make 'em... but if you wanted to take the time to research something, try to prove/disprove that above statement.
*Update* Ok looks like Arcade Otaku did the heavy lifting for us...
  • Cadash - No sound
  • Double Dragon - Required for music
  • Donkey Kong
  • Fighting Hawk - No sound
  • Gals Panic 2 - No sound
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • NBA JAM - No sound
  • NBA Maximum Hangtime - No sound
  • Pit Fighter - No sound
  • Rainbow Islands - No sound
  • Rampage World Tour
  • Thunder Fox - No sound
  • Toki - Required for sound amplifier
  • Combat Tribes - No sound
  • Super Dodgeball (Tecmo PCB) - No sound
  • Bubble Bobble - required for board functionality
  • Rastan - No sound
  • Liquid Kids- No sound
  • Volfied - No Sound
Midway games colored in red.
Add to this list some more 90's Midway hits...
  • Mortal Kombat
  • NBA JAM TE
  • Smash TV
  • Total Carnage
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Terminator 2
  • Revolution X
  • Killer Instinct

Last edited by a moderator:
Back