What's new

SonGohanX

Beginner
Reaction score
So I have a "consolized" System 246 running in my living room with a Sun PSU and a Sega I/O (just to make it boot)
I'm having an issue with the controller ports. They seem to work fine with a dual shock 2 and my Soul Calibur 2 mini arcade stick, however I bought a couple of the Zero Delay PCBs for my HRAPs and I can't seem to get them to work with it. They work fine on an actual PS2 and on a PC with a PS2->USB adapter, so I know the boards are good. I've tried 2 different System 246s and get the same result. The boards are getting power, but no functionality.

Any ideas? If these simply won't work, does anyone have any suggestions for something that definitely will?

What games are you trying to play? Only a few games can actually use the PS2 controllers.

two things-

Some PS2 controllers are PS1 controllers because PS1 controllers will work fine for fighting games and the like that do not need button pressure sensitivity. But many games, even on a real PS2 will not accept PS1 controllers. 2X6 games are not designed to have any specific "guarantees" for compatibility with their console versions, and in fact, ONLY Tekken 5/DR are even officially documented as having support for PS2 controllers.

Also, some games are picky about the controllers supported, and if the controller does not match the correct device IDs, will straight-up reject them, or act very strangely.

I'm not familiar with the boards you speak of -- not sure what a zero-delay PCB for a PS2 based controller would be since there's always going to be SOME delay, regardless, it's possible they don't match the PS2 DualShock 2 profile exactly, and as a result are not functioning on the 246, that has limited (at best) controller support. You may want to consider simply pad-hacking a real PS2 controller if you need it to work this way, or use a usb/playstation to neo-geo/jamma adapter to connect to that sega IO board you already have.

That's the route I used many moons ago before mitsu made his adapter board (tototek PS1 to NEO-GEO soldered to the digital IO pins of the SEGA IO) worked fine in any 2X6 game:
4994863491_5fe4a6836a_b.jpg

Last edited:
not sure what a zero-delay PCB for a PS2 based controller would be
"zero-delay" is a (sort-of) "brand" name for cheap USB encoder PCBs sold on eBay for use in arcade stick builds.
there are a few variants, one of which claims support on PS2
https://www.amazon.com/QJ-Delay-Arc...dp/B016PTQ0U8?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

they've gained some notoriety among stick builders because they're surprisingly not complete shit.

as for whether or not they're ACTUALLY "zero-delay" I highly doubt it.

Aha- I see this term thrown around a lot in the fighting game scene, that explains things!

Back