What's new

Hackcell

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planning in converting a super monaco GP into a After Burner 2. I'd like to know if somebody has converted a X board and if so, to share any sort of advice before I move forward with this idea. So far, I've noticed the 2.1 power amp used on the monaco GP must be replaced by a standard stereo amp, this as afterburner does not have a bass output.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

The System X motherboard itself you can convert to any other game:
- You're going to need either decrypted ROMs for the game you want or reinject the keys in the FD1094 module
- When converting to AB/AB2 you need to replace PAL chip 315-5304 by 315-5279 (file available from jammarcade.net)

what.... is Afterburner 2 encrypted?
Edit: nevermind.... looked up some pcb piccys and I dont see any FD modules.

Wat type of eprom is needed to replace the mask roms?

Last edited:
what.... is Afterburner 2 encrypted?
Sorry I wrongly assumed it was encrypted, just as any other System X game.
The 1MB DIP28 mask ROMs can be replaced by 1MB DIP32 non JEDEC EPROMs without any modification. But I think you can also strap the board for JEDEC.

Please apologize my ignorance, but what is JEDEC?

You can get non-JEDEC version EPROMs for most cases where you need to replace a MaskROM, it's usually not a problem.
In the worst case scenario, yes, you'll have to do some simple adaptations. This happens when you have more pins in the EPROM version than the MaskROM one. You may have to use a riser so you can fit the EPROM (e.g. Outrun) or a 28 pin adapter for a TSOP flash ROM.
Most arcade boards usually have provision for such cases. You'll see 28pin MaskROMs in 32 pin sockets for instance or a jumper to select between 27c010 and the non-JEDEC version (it redirects the two swapped pins).
If you have any specific question concerning a replacement I will try to help.

You can get non-JEDEC version EPROMs for most cases where you need to replace a MaskROM, it's usually not a problem.
In the worst case scenario, yes, you'll have to do some simple adaptations. This happens when you have more pins in the EPROM version than the MaskROM one. You may have to use a riser so you can fit the EPROM (e.g. Outrun) or a 28 pin adapter for a TSOP flash ROM.
Most arcade boards usually have provision for such cases. You'll see 28pin MaskROMs in 32 pin sockets for instance or a jumper to select between 27c010 and the non-JEDEC version (it redirects the two swapped pins).
If you have any specific question concerning a replacement I will try to help.
Now I'm concerned... I purchased this kind or EPROMS ( https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/AT27C4096 )to convert a CPS1 board, now I'm not sure if that kind of eprom would work.

Now I'm concerned... I purchased this kind or EPROMS ( https://www.microchip.com/wwwproducts/en/AT27C4096 )to convert a CPS1 board, now I'm not sure if that kind of eprom would work.
It depends on the type of B board. If it has '4M JEDEC EPROM TYPE' written in the silkscreen, it uses the 27c4096. If not, it uses the 27c400 in most cases. Don't worry if you got it wrong, the 4096 is very useful and used in lots of stuff.

B Board says:
91635B-2
4M MASK-ROM TYPE.

It seems it's time to look for other EPROMS for my conversion.

Back