What's new

peradam

Student
Reaction score
I have an MS9 in my Astro City that is in great shape overall with no burn, except for a dark spot left over from some tape residue that I had removed. The previous owner had left some tape on the monitor while it was in storage, and after I brought it home I scraped it off with some windex and goo gone. There is no more tape residue on the surface, but I noticed there is a dark spot on the tube where the tape was, I assume it somehow reacted with the top layer of the tube while it was in storage. Any advice for fixing this or am I out of luck? It almost looks similar to burn, but not as noticeable when the screen is on. I've attached some photos of what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107
Probably ate into the anti-glare coating?? so it might not be easy to get rid off if at all. You might have to peel the coating from the CRT, if it won't peel, then you are going to have to sand it it off. Someone has done it and posted here on the site what to do to sand off the coating.

Last edited:
Yikes, is it easy to replace the anti-glare coating with a new film? Or not really worth doing if I'm just playing games at home?

Not sure if it its, never see anyone do a replacement on a tube. You really dont need the coating for home use, if you are not in a bright room, you might have to turn off some light. Also, the image will probably be about 10-15% brighter after you remove it, so that might be a bonus :)

I have an MS9 in my Astro City that is in great shape overall with no burn, except for a dark spot left over from some tape residue that I had removed. The previous owner had left some tape on the monitor while it was in storage, and after I brought it home I scraped it off with some windex and goo gone. There is no more tape residue on the surface, but I noticed there is a dark spot on the tube where the tape was, I assume it somehow reacted with the top layer of the tube while it was in storage. Any advice for fixing this or am I out of luck? It almost looks similar to burn, but not as noticeable when the screen is on. I've attached some photos of what I'm talking about.
user a buffer on the glass with compound. Look for tutorials they are available. If you dont have a buffer they are $50 at harbor freight. Buy 3 foam pads they make one for each step. You can use these with the three step Novus for buffing your cab. 5 gallon bucket Of warm water with dawn dish soap to clean .

Cover the whole monitor in tape and let it sit in storage for a bit?

Back