What's new

SNK-NEO-GEO

Enlightened
Reaction score
Has anyone came a cross a guide that detail the process on how to build a PC inside a candy cab on top of the wooden board like the Vewlix.... I need to take all the PC components and place it inside the my Vewlix on top of the wood board and a guide would be usefull.. The PC is too big as it is and does not fit inside the cab.. thank you! for your input...

i haven't come across a guide. but if it isnt to high powered you could use a Taito Type X2 case and PSU as a base which can the be mounted to a wood board

Edit: You would also need to have a microATX motherboard aswell

You have to get a small case/system or mount your motherboard directly to the wooden board without a case.

I use these little guys from shuttle a lot: Shuttle

I outfit them with i7-4790S, 16GB RAM and SSD drive, solid performers, super tiny and the case comes with mounting brackets.

That tiny case looks great.

I've got this big motherf@cker i7 skylake 6700 4ghz

10598188_1684032915177614_1157305223_n.jpg

12424359_445705398960568_396838574_n.jpg

I highly recommend using a bench case, and not mounting a motherboard directly to the wooden platform.
This is just a random Google image search, but you get the idea...
test_bench_legitreviews.jpg

Thank you very much guys for the feedback.. The shuttle looks cool but I need to put in an NVidia 970 videocard or something with that perfoance.. I like the bench case idea... Let me hit eBay and see what I get.. If you have any recommendations where to get it or which one to get, please post.

Ahh...I though you just wanted it for mame setup.

If you have a case with a removable motherboard tray you could use that as sort of test bench case setup.

I would say first measure the space you have available, then see how much space your motherboard, graphics card, cpu cooler take up, that way you know what space you have left to spare, so that you know what case to get.

What size motherboard are you using? I will help you with your search.

This is the PC in my Kraylix cab:
10729326_1480520498875356_144059383_n.jpg

It wouldn't fit with the case so I cut a piece of MDF, laid it out. drilled pilot holes in the motherboard mounting positions then used nylon spacers and screws to secure the motherboard to the MDF. you can get the MDF, spacers and screws at your local hardware store.

You can't see it in the picture but I actually cut a portion out of an old PC case to make a bracket for the Power supply. so basically the section of a case that the PSU normally bolts to is there, plus some bent tabs with holes drill in them to mount to the MDF. I did the same thing with the hard drives (not in the photo) basically removed the 4-slot hard drive caddy and bolted that to the MDF and gave myself a nice mounting location for all my drives. The power switch and audio amp are front center here because that was located directly behind the "coin door" so I can open that up to adjust the volume and turn the machine on and off easily. The big empty space on the left is for a Subwoofer which I never got around to installing. Also not visibile in the picture is a bracket I made to support the top of the Graphics card to keep it flopping back and forth (Sorry this is pretty much the only photo I have of this setup... I really need to take better photos of this thing).

Another example is my Fix it Felix Machine:
10488653_1554336571455621_983307210_n.jpg

on this one I got some L-channel aluminum from home depot cut it down to the length i wanted then drilled holes in it for the screws, then screwed it into the PC case as a mounting bracket. (you'll want to do this with the mobo removed so you don't damage it with metal filings, also make sure there is enough clearance for the screws) There's one on the bottom too that allows it to slide right into the PCB slot in the cabinet. You can also notice here I added my own power outlet for the PC to plug into. That's tied into the AC input so the PC turns on and off with the external power switch on the cab (bios is set to turn on as soon as power is applied). the Kraylix cab is wired similarly except I used a power strip with the end wired into the external power port instead of a hard mounted outlet.

At some point I'm going to be building another similar setup for my DDR cab since the PC is is just sitting outside of the cab on that one. Space is surprisingly very tight in those massive cabs though so it's going to take some creativity.

L-Channel aluminum is extremely useful for building brackets you can get it at just about any hardware store and all you need to make a bracket is a drill and a cutting tool (dremmel works, or even a handsaw with a metal cutting blade) I've used this to build custom hard drive mounts, license plate mounts for cars and motorcycles, I even used it to build a custom radiator fan mount on my car:
fan_bracket_08.jpg

those sweet rounded corners were made with a dremmel grinding tool. sanding or filing down sharp edges makes things look a lot more pro, and a lot less prone to cut yourself. the FiF brackets have rounded corners too, they're just not as apparent from the angle of the picture.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the feedback.. I found a simpler solution:) I just took out the front cover and all the drives, CD-ROM, USB reader and the front plate.. It is tight but it is in now:).. I still need a RAM upgrade but it is good.

I see that you have solved your problem which is good but I have a suggestion to anyone else that may read this later or even you in the future if you choose. My plan for when I got my Vewlix was to install some server mounting brackets and put my computer in a 2u or 3u case and mount it in an organized fashion. Just an idea though.

Last edited:
Back