What's new

neokoen

Student
Reaction score
I've been trying to get RC de Go / Go by RC to boot up on my Taito G-NET using information from an old post on a German forum:
https://www.arcadezentrum.com/forum/boa ... oller-mod/

Basically use a 5kOhm pot for steering and one for accelerator, tapping
5V from pin 1 on the 4-pin header on the FC PCB, GND from pin 10 on the
"Analog" header and the divided voltage to pin 2 for steering and pin 3
for accelerator.

Even with the above connected which should allow the game to boot, the
game goes into a reboot loop sometimes ending in a "System Error".

What am I missing?
Are there any specific dips to be set?

I don't believe your problem is with the controls, I've been able to get the game to boot with no controls connected.

More likely your problem is a bad cart.

I'll try reflashing the CF card and see if that helps.
I do see the loading screen so not just the G-net logo.

Do you know what the dips do for this game?
I assume following other games that dip #4 invokes the test menu but do the others do anything for this game?

Tried rewriting the card but I have varying success.
Tried with 2 USB adapter but I only managed to write Night Raid on the CF and boot it using one of the adapters but when I then write "Go by RC" it appears to load but then says "system error" 00001 after 3 auto rebooting loops similar as before and the same with "RC de GO".
It's a 64MB CF AGFA branded, guess I need to buy another CF to try.

Try the Genuine Sandisk 64mb or 128mb cards. Those work a treat.

I tried with 2 new CF cards, the same thing happens.
GoByRC and RCdeGo do not "boot", they show the loading and startng screens but after that go into a reset loop.
Any other game I wrote to the cards load and boots normal so it seems specific to those 2 games.

Could it be the chd files?

I read somewhere (can't find back where) that too low voltage might cause a reset loop but I checked and have exactly 5V under load at the edge connector.

I read somewhere (can't find back where) that too low voltage might cause a reset loop but I checked and have exactly 5V under load at the edge connector.
check the 5V level at the sub-board with the CF card.

Also use a CHD from MAME if you can.

I'm currently running original carts for this game, but I did have a CF card at one time and didn't have any problems with it like what you're describing.

I've measured on the FC PCB (connected to the ZN2) and that has proper 5V, on the CD PCB with the actual PCMCIA slot I measure 4.95V.

Will have to track down the chd, any mame version number in particular (I'm using your easy extractor script) or always the latest one?

Try reflashing the nvram with a v2 G-Net eeprom chip.
I do not have an eeprom programmer but if I understand correctly a normal v2 bios would not allow me to run CF cards, I do not have the original game card.
Do you mean loading the original v2 bios which maybe restores something (not sure what) and then load the modbios again?

I now also tried with latest version of chdman and freshly downloaded mame gobyrc.chd but the behaviour is the same, goes into a reset loop.

Everything else I throw at the CF cards and the G-NET board works, just not gobyrc.

If I want to test the effect of supply voltage what would be the safe limit for 5V?
Would 5.2V under load still be safe?

that varies greatly hardware to hardware. I don't know enough about the specific chips used on the Gnet to say.

Went to 5.1V under load, still going into rest loop.
Ready to give up on this one.

Back