What's new

hoagtech

Enlightened
Reaction score
I’m wanting to dive into my Domy 33 but the monitor is so dang heavy I can’t begin attempt to remove the monitor.

How are others removing these things without destroying your backs or relying on a helping hand?

if you open the instruction manual you will see the biggest advice:
2 person job!
never alone
Of course that’s the easier solution. I was hoping their is a different solution.

I was thinking chains and maybe a forklift?

Also I noticed their were ground loops on the Aero City wiring that attached to the body of the cab.

Do I need to attach these loops to another ground outside the cab If were to set up a monitor test station outside the cab with the internals.

If I could test and calibrate the monitors outside the cabs it would save me a lot of lifting.

I wanted to hear about some magical monitor lifting devices and configurations mainly.

I've moved a Blast City and NNC tube by myself. My Windy tube is a bitch when you're alone. As I've said before -

"Satan's Arcade is filled with Konami cabs."

And I mean it!

To answer your question: The key here is the metal frames on the tube. Sega cabs have them behind the tube, and are easy to grab. Konamis typically have less support in the back. (With Beatmania being an exception, this has a frame.)

It really depends on how far the tube is going. If its close by (ie work bench), I lay the front of the tube against my stomach and grab the metal frame. (This is a Sega cab, mind you.)

If I have to go downstairs or outside of my work area, I'm definitely using 2 people. Anything with a rotation mech is needing 2 people as well.

Like others have said, always use 2 people to be on the safe side.

I've never attached any ground wires to my tubes outside of the cab. The NNC is full of them too.

I have however laid a tube face down on a soft pillow. Upon moving the tube, that brief sliding on top of the pillow caused the tube to gather static electricity. I was surprised at how sensitive it was.

Color me paranoid, but I make sure to discharge after I move my tubes around after that experience.

51YImZr1xOL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Thats the answer I was looking for.

I was also wondering how people set up their cross bars on the engine lifts to accomadate different monitors.

I don’t think those hooks off the cross bar would be able to grab a lip or a screw hole on the monitor frame.

and would you need 4 chains off the winch to pull properly.

After hearing a mention of these lifts. I would love to hear from people who actually use them.

And thanks @Rg111. I asked for an option that didn’t involve 2 people though. I can’t depend on commissioning people all the time with the amount of monitor work I need to accomplish across my 15 cabs.

If anyone else wants to shed some tools or work bench setups for outside cab work. I would love to hear it.

Thats the answer I was looking for.
I was also wondering how people set up their cross bars on the engine lifts to accomadate different monitors.

I don’t think those hooks off the cross bar would be able to grab a lip or a screw hole on the monitor frame.

After hearing a mention of these lifts. I would love to hear from people who actually use them.
Wait, you're actually going to use a cherry picker? :huh:

Thats the answer I was looking for.I was also wondering how people set up their cross bars on the engine lifts to accomadate different monitors.

Yes. If it's feasible.

That or rig some chains up to my forklift.

I can lift 27" monitors myself but I want to move away from doing that and exercise a safe removal process from now on.

I got to the Chiro once a week as it is.

Thats the answer I was looking for.I was also wondering how people set up their cross bars on the engine lifts to accomadate different monitors.

you're just not hardcore enough dude. Real arcade enthusiasts use engine lifts to deal with heavy monitors. And hoagtech has accumulated quite the collection already. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't recommend a forklift...

you're just not hardcore enough dude. Real arcade enthusiasts use engine lifts to deal with heavy monitors. And hoagtech has accumulated quite the collection already. :rolleyes:
I wouldn't recommend a forklift...
I cant tell if your being sarcastic.

And yes I want to fix my collection real bad and not break my back.

@hoagtech - He's being sarcastic, dude. Don't use a cherry picker.

Seriously, just buy the boys some "smoke an' a pancake" and they'll be cool.

I lift monitors weekly. My back is fine. It's all in how you do your lifting.

I have however laid a tube face down on a soft pillow. Upon moving the tube, that brief sliding on top of the pillow caused the tube to gather static electricity. I was surprised at how sensitive it was.

Color me paranoid, but I make sure to discharge after I move my tubes around after that experience.
Glass isn't a perfect dielectric, so it can certainly have surface charge. Personally, I haven't noticed that residual charge on the inside of the tube affects static on the outside. I certainly don't believe that any amount of rubbing on the outside will create charge on the inside.

Unless I'm removing the neck board or the anode, I never discharge. It's just putting unneeded stress on the anode cap and scratching up the glass underneath every time you're doing it.

I was half joking. If I had the amount of cabs to warrant it I would definitely get an engine lifter. It's why I pictured it. Those tubes are too precious to lift haphazardly.

Also hoagtech is a feather weight :P

Personally, I haven't noticed that residual charge on the inside of the tube affects static on the outside. I certainly don't believe that any amount of rubbing on the outside will create charge on the inside.

Unless I'm removing the neck board or the anode, I never discharge. It's just putting unneeded stress on the anode cap and scratching up the glass underneath every time you're doing it.
Yes, I agree, but I think you misread parts of my post. ?(

It's not a big deal. I don't want to jack Hoags thread anyways.

Personally, I haven't noticed that residual charge on the inside of the tube affects static on the outside. I certainly don't believe that any amount of rubbing on the outside will create charge on the inside.

Yes, I agree, but I think you misread parts of my post. ?(
It's not a big deal. I don't want to jack Hoags thread anyways.
Monitor removal procedures are definately part of the thread.

@Kavas I challenge you to an arm wrestle next time your in Bellingham followed by a Gradius high score death match for thinking I’m a lightweight

Last edited:
Monitor removal procedures are definately part of the thread.
Yes, and the semantics of misunderstood posts are not. My aim was to be polite by not even going into it.

Really, I hope whatever new method comes out of this thread works.

I'll make sure the cherry picker doesn't hit me on the backside when I leave. ^^

Yes, I agree, but I think you misread parts of my post.
You wrote that your tube gathered static electricity when brushed against a pillow and that's why you discharge monitors.

I just don't see how the latter affects the former.

My Electrical engineer buddy came to help with the cabs today and the first comment he made after helping me with an Aero monitor was:

“You should get an engine hoist to remove these”

The timing is hilarious to me.

I picked one up at Napa.

If it’s easy I’ll be sure to share the process.

We can’t all be like @nem and haul full arcade cabinets for miles in an afternoon with no vehicle.

I’m always pulling monitors always heavy but I’m a big dude. I feel like if I start lifting weights on the regular it would be a lot easier to do.

Back