What's new

Monstermug

Professional
Reaction score
I got a Edward Randy Cliffhanger that has had the majority of Pals removed from the board and also many other parts like the Yamaha YM2151 sound IC. I have replaced almost everything apart from a few dips and resistor packs next to them.

The problem I am having is that I am not sure if the Pals have been dumped for this and if so which which files do I burn for each of the missing Pals?

I have just populated them with blank pals for the time being as i am unsure which files to burn for each one. The romset for edward randy v3 which is what this pcb is doesnt seem to have these Pals in them? Am I correct to say that it shares the same pals as both long and short versions of caveman ninja?

20200929-171457l.jpg
(Blank Pals)

20200929-172350.jpg
(Original working pcb)

20200929-171403.jpg
(Blank Pals)

20200929-172357.jpg
(Original working pcb)

Any pointers would be appreciated :thumbsup:

Thank you for that! Thats 3 PAL's down. 2 more to track. I tried looking into the Romset for caveman Ninja but can't seem to find the other 2. Would they be encrypted you know?

Which 2 do you need? I can try to read them

That's very kind of you. I seem to be missing

1R
10H (TH-01)
10J (TH-00)

20200929-172350.jpg

Welp R1 is a PAL16R4 and sadly my tool doesn't work for brute forcing those. I'll give the others a try in a bit but I'm not optimistic.

only TH-01 is behaving. I'm not sure why TH-00 wouldn't work so I'll keep trying that. I'm positive I can't get TH-05 (R1) though

@Hammy tested

Attachments

• th-01.zip
    439 bytes · Views: 89
I am having trouble getting R1 to work using file TJ-05 when burnt on a Gal16V8D. Any pointers?
Sadly no, I also could not get that file to work. I also tried the .jed file that mame's jedutil can create, but that didn't work for me either. Kinda stumped since the file says it was tested.

That kinda thrown a spanner in the works. Might investigate how people convert caveman ninja into edward randy which should shed some light on this R1 TH-05. Will update if i find anything. Thanks for the help so far buddy. So near yet so far

Probably last ditch effort would be to decap it?

That kinda thrown a spanner in the works. Might investigate how people convert caveman ninja into edward randy which should shed some light on this R1 TH-05. Will update if i find anything. Thanks for the help so far buddy. So near yet so far

Probably last ditch effort would be to decap it?
Caveman Ninja - Edward Randy Conversion

I don’t think that detail matters much really. It’s just rom swaps and a security chip swap. I wonder if the file is just bad for some reason. If @Porchy still has a board maybe he can test it again and let you know what device he used. I’m not sure he logs in here that often so you may need to email him.

Might be easier to find a busted caveman or robocop2 and take the chip from that

Last edited:
oh nice one. Thanks for that! the problem with me is when i buy stuff like this i just end up fixing it as well as the original faulty board

i will have a punt at it as i could use the rom labels on my Robocop 2.

I've talked to Porchy and he has agreed to take another look at the pal so have already posted the pal to him to check. He did mention that the dump on jammacade was indeed wrong.

Will update thread as soon as i have anymore info but Edward randy does boot and run perfectly when R1 pal is populated

Back