What's new

mathieulh

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I took it upon myself to fix the header of all the AW games so they use a unique header with a proper reference from the original SYSTEM_X header (at 0xFF00 in the converted roms), I also modified the roms so they run on the latest C/H BIOSes without throwing error 22, Sadly I had to make due with exisiting loaders as I do not have the original source, the process is quite straightforward with some trials and errors and some minor correction needed for Guilty Gear Isuka and Rumble Fish.

I did not write the actual loader used in those AW converts, I only reused the most stable/up to date revision and tested it with existing roms while doing small adjustments when required. I am not sure who wrote it originally, @Darksoft perhaps?

I tested all the games on Naomi1 and 2 on both C and H bioses, I never managed to get Bass fishing and Clay chalenge to run, even on the original roms using the old B/G BIOSes (I have been told those are 15khz only, so that may explain why they don't run on my setup), so I put them as "not tested"

Anyway, enjoy!

https://mega.nz/folder/1lsmDawI#S5rCoeBJlAIyg48ybMdxMg

Below is an up to date game list, courtesy of @Murray

GAME LIST UPDATED - This list is a reference for anyone interested about the games, and just in case you are having issues with any of them. The below are known/tested and the bios versions they were tested on.

NAOMI 1 - H Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 1 - Multi (Mathieulh fixed version) - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - Export B Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - C Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - Multi (Mathieulh fixed version) - TESTED

MISSING ATOMISWAVE GAMES FROM PACK (missing because they don't work on NAOMI hardware, are undumped or are private dumps only)

- Block Pong Pong - MISSING
- Chase 1929 Prototype - MISSING (UNDUMPED)
- Extreme Hunting - MISSING
- Extreme Hunting 2 - MISSING
- Force Five Prototype AW18 - MISSING (non public dump only)
- Kenju Prototype AW23 - MISSING (non public dump only)
- Miracle Stadium Prototype - MISSING (UNDUMPED)
- Premiere Eleven Prototype - MISSING (UNDUMPED)
- Net Select Keiba Victory Furlong - MISSING
- Ranger Mission - MISSING

Now that those are out of the way, here's the games in the pack.

INCLUDED GAMES - WORKING ON NAOMI HARDWARE

- Animal Basket - aw-baskets_AW16.bin - WORKS OK (vertical screen game, not sure if this needs a special controller, i can't seem to control the game? It coins up and plays though)
- Demolish Fist - aw-demolish_fist_AW14.bin - WORKS OK
- Dirty Pigskin Football - aw-dirty_pigskin_football_AW13.bin - WORKS OK
- Dolphin Blue - aw-dolphin_blue_AW00.bin - WORKS OK
- Faster Than Speed - aw-faster_than_speed_AW10.bin - WORKS OK (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Fist of the North Star - aw-hokuto_no_ken_AW15.bin - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear Isuka - aw-guilty_gear_isuka_AW01.bin - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear X Version 1.5 - aw-guilty_gear_x_ver15_AW20.bin - WORKS OK
- Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits - aw-knights_of_valour_the_7_spirits_AW03.bin - WORKS OK
- Maximum Speed - aw-maximum_speed_AW09.bin - (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Metal Slug 6 - aw-metal_slug_6_AW08.bin - WORKS OK
- Metal Slug 6 Violent - aw-violent_metal_slug_6_AW08.bin - WORKS OK (has red blood instead of silver)
- NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - aw-neogeobattlecoliseum_AW04.bin - WORKS OK
- Neowave: The King of Fighters - aw-the_king_of_fighters_neo_wave_AW05.bin5 - WORKS OK
- Net Select (Salary Man Kintarou) - aw-netselect_AW07.bin - WORKS OK (you can't play thisgame as it needs touch screen IO, but it does boot to the menu screen, so it's working but you need crazy touch screen IO)
- Samurai Shodown VI - aw-samurai_spirits_6_AW06.bin6 - WORKS OK
- Sports Shooting USA - aw-sports_shooting_AW11.bin - WORKS OK (needs shooting IO, not sure if you can actually play it on NAOMI shooting IO?)
- Sushi Bar (Toe Tor Sushi) - aw-tore_tore_sushi_AW12.bin - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI - aw-the_king_of_fighters_xi_AW02.bin - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI UNLOCKED CHARACTERS - aw-the_king_of_fighters_xi_AllFighters_AW02.bin - WORKS OK
- The Rumble Fish - aw-the_rumble_fish_AW17.bin - WORKS OK
- The Rumble Fish 2 - aw-the_rumble_fish_2_AW19.bin - WORKS OK

INCLUDED GAMES - NOT WORKING ON NAOMI HARDWARE (working on Demul Emulator)

- Sega Bass Fishing Challenge - aw-bass_fishing_simulator_AW22.bin - DOESNT WORK ON NAOMI HARDWARE - ONLY WORKS ON DEMUL EMULATOR
- Sega Clay Challenge - aw-sega_clay_challenge_AW21.bin - DOESNT WORK ON NAOMI HARDWARE - ONLY WORKS ON DEMUL EMULATOR

Last edited:
OMG!! *FINALLY*!! MERCI BEAUCOUP MATHIEULH!!

IMG_4155.jpg

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4161.jpg

Someone educate me please, what does this do different to the AW conversion out there for netbooting?

Reactions: AMS
Someone educate me please, what does this do different to the AW conversion out there for netbooting?
There are 2 major changes:

1. The NAOMI header used to be the same across all converted roms using the same id and name (AWNAOMI and ABC0), the NAOMI does not clear game settings unless the ID (which is supposed to be unique) changes (or the CR2032 battery is removed), so upon loading several Atomiswave games in a row, you could get conflicts as the settings for the previous games weren't cleared (unless you ran a naomi game in between), those versions use a unique name and ID in the header, making them overall cleaner

2. The Atomiswave loader (0x500 in the binary) (which is a kind of broker in charge of translating rom addresses to something that works with a dimm board as well as handle JVS inputs), had static timings made with the B/G bioses in mind (among other issues), which caused games to not load and throw an error 22 on the latest bioses, the loader used on public releases is mostly the same (with minor tweaks here and there), I updated it to a newer revision that handles timings better and boots fine on newer bioses (they still work on the old ones).

Last edited:
Dude you fixed all my black screen AW games awesome work!!

Thanks for this, great work! Just a quick question to confirm.

Do the new rom files work with the old multi region bios and the regular bios versions? Or didn't you test those?

Or do you need the new multi bios for these roms to work properly?

Just curious for people who are going to ask.
They will work with the new multibios, I would advice against using the old one in all circumstances.

I spent a bit of time with this today. @mathieulh

So I used the newest MultiBios fixed image on my Naomi 2 system.

- NAOMI 2 MB
- Sega REV B JAMMA IO
- 512MB Net DIMM
- WiPi v5
- Pi4

First of all i'll list the missing games on Atomiswave. The ones that aren't in this download pack. These games are either not converted to work on NAOMI or they are not included for other reasons, I'm not sure! Most of these are special IO games anyways.

MISSING GAMES

- Miracle Stadium - MISSING (UNDUMPED)

INCLUDED GAMES - WORKING

- Animal Basket - AW16 - WORKS OK (vertical screen game)
- Demolish Fist - AW14 - WORKS OK
- Dirty Pigskin Football AW13 - WORKS OK
- Dolphin Blue - AW00 - WORKS OK
- Faster Than Speed - AW10 - WORKS OK (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Fist of the North Star - AW15 - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear Isuka - AW18 - WORKS OK - (this file wasn't named like the others and didn't have an AW number, 18?)
- Guilty Gear X Version 1.5 - AW20 - WORKS OK
- Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits - AW03 - WORKS OK
- Maximum Speed - AW09 - (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Metal Slug 6 - AW08 - WORKS OK
- Metal Slug 6 Violent - AW08 - WORKS OK (has red blood instead of silver)
- NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - AW04 - WORKS OK
- Neowave: The King of Fighters - AW05 - WORKS OK
- Net Select Salary Man Kintarou - AW07 - WORKS OK (you can't play this game as it needs touch screen IO, but it does boot to the menu screen, so it's working but you need crazy touch screen IO)
- Samurai Shodown VI - AW06 - WORKS OK
- Sushi Bar (Toe Tor Sushi) - AW12 - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI - AW02 - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI UNLOCKED CHARACTERS - AW02 - WORKS OK
- The Rumble Fish 2 - AW19 - WORKS OK

INCLUDED GAMES - NOT WORKING

- Sega Bass Fishing Challenge - AW22 - DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO BLACK SCREEN ONLY
- Sega Clay Challenge - AW21- DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO BLACK SCREEN ONLY
- Sports Shooting USA - AW11- DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO BLACK SCREEN ONLY
- The Rumble Fish - AW17 - DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO ERROR 22 (Communication error ocurrecd between main board and option board)

NOTES:

- Can't get The Rumble Fish to boot, it keeps giving error 22.
- I tested Bass Fishing, Clay Challenge and Sports Shooting at 15k and 31k, no change in booting to black screen.
- The file for Guilty Gear Isuka is named different to the others, it's just called ggisuka.bin in the pack. I gave it number 18 in my list because i couldn't work out exactly how you came to your AW## naming convention!
- Salary Man Kintarou is also named aw-netselect_AW07.bin - This could probably be renamed to salaray man kintarou as netselect is just a generic name for the network system Atomiswave had i think... and it applies to victory furlong as well.

This is great work. I was able to test nearly every game without actually powering off the Naomi, just booting one game, testing, then loading another over the top and letting it reboot itself. It worked alphabetically all the way until Samsho6 when it refused to load any more games over the top. As soon as i rebooted the naomi and pi system though it worked fine again and didn't give me any issues since then, and i was able to load games over the top of Samsho6.

I'm not sure about Rumble Fish 1, can anyone confirm that game works for them?
Thanks for this incredible feedback!

- Guilty gear isuka is actually AW01 (that's what the header is set to, as well as what's in the original 7Z name)
I fixed the filename inside the archive.

- Indeed the rumblefish did not run for some reason and I never noticed! I just tested after seeing and indeed I also had the error 22 on that title. I fixed that title as well, it now runs fine on my naomi2 on the rev C bios. Please redownload it from the mega repository.

- About sports shooting, I don't know what I can say other than it runs fine on my Naomi 1 and 2 running the latest BIOSes, I just retested it and it's running right now on my setup.

- About salary man kintarou, I just grabbed the title from the original SYSTEM_X header, as well as for all other atomiswave titles here. As long as it uses a unique id for the game itself, no (technical) issues should occur.

So is this basically a fix for when is says you need to adjust the system settings to 1 player or 2 player or that the monitor is set vert instead of horz?

This keeps getting better and better!

Somebody should buy you guys a beer!

:thumbsup:

Net Select (Salary Man Kintarou) - AW07 - WORKS OK (you can't play thisgame as it needs touch screen IO, but it does boot to the menu screen, so it's working but you need crazy touch screen IO)
Net@Select games can be played without touch screen, just press press 1P Start to enable debug inputs and then control cursor using joystick.
but thats in original AW versions, no idea if it works in NAOMI ports

GAME LIST UPDATED - This list is a reference for anyone interested about the games, and just in case you are having issues with any of them. The below are known/tested and the bios versions they were tested on.

NAOMI 1 - H Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 1 - Multi (Mathieluh fixed version) - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - Export B Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - C Bios - TESTED
NAOMI 2 - Multi (Mathieluh fixed version) - TESTED

MISSING ATOMISWAVE GAMES FROM PACK

- Miracle Stadium - MISSING (UNDUMPED)

INCLUDED GAMES - WORKING

- Animal Basket - aw-baskets_AW16.bin - WORKS OK (vertical screen game, not sure if this needs a special controller, i can't seem to control the game? It coins up and plays though)
- Demolish Fist - aw-demolish_fist_AW14.bin - WORKS OK
- Dirty Pigskin Football - aw-dirty_pigskin_football_AW13.bin - WORKS OK
- Dolphin Blue - aw-dolphin_blue_AW00.bin - WORKS OK
- Faster Than Speed - aw-faster_than_speed_AW10.bin - WORKS OK (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Fist of the North Star - aw-hokuto_no_ken_AW15.bin - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear Isuka - aw-guilty_gear_isuka_AW01.bin - WORKS OK
- Guilty Gear X Version 1.5 - aw-guilty_gear_x_ver15_AW20.bin - WORKS OK
- Knights of Valour: The Seven Spirits - aw-knights_of_valour_the_7_spirits_AW03.bin - WORKS OK
- Maximum Speed - aw-maximum_speed_AW09.bin - (needs special io for steering though, still boots and demo's fine)
- Metal Slug 6 - aw-metal_slug_6_AW08.bin - WORKS OK
- Metal Slug 6 Violent - aw-violent_metal_slug_6_AW08.bin - WORKS OK (has red blood instead of silver)
- NeoGeo Battle Coliseum - aw-neogeobattlecoliseum_AW04.bin - WORKS OK
- Neowave: The King of Fighters - aw-the_king_of_fighters_neo_wave_AW05.bin5 - WORKS OK
- Net Select (Salary Man Kintarou) - aw-netselect_AW07.bin - WORKS OK (you can't play thisgame as it needs touch screen IO, but it does boot to the menu screen, so it's working but you need crazy touch screen IO)
- Samurai Shodown VI - aw-samurai_spirits_6_AW06.bin6 - WORKS OK
- Sports Shooting USA - aw-sports_shooting_AW11.bin - WORKS OK (needs shooting IO, not sure if you can actually play it on NAOMI shooting IO?)
- Sushi Bar (Toe Tor Sushi) - aw-tore_tore_sushi_AW12.bin - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI - aw-the_king_of_fighters_xi_AW02.bin - WORKS OK
- The King of Fighters XI UNLOCKED CHARACTERS - aw-the_king_of_fighters_xi_AllFighters_AW02.bin - WORKS OK
- The Rumble Fish - aw-the_rumble_fish_AW17.bin - WORKS OK
- The Rumble Fish 2 - aw-the_rumble_fish_2_AW19.bin - WORKS OK

INCLUDED GAMES - NOT WORKING

- Sega Bass Fishing Challenge - aw-bass_fishing_simulator_AW22.bin - DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO BLACK SCREEN ONLY
- Sega Clay Challenge - aw-sega_clay_challenge_AW21.bin - DOESNT WORK - BOOTS TO BLACK SCREEN ONLY
In case you are wondering, the Sega Bass and Sega Clay converts only run on DEMUL but not on real hardware (even the original files).

There are also 2 more games missing, which are Force Five (AW18) and Kenju (AW23) which are tested and do run but I have been asked not to share those on AP as they are private releases. (they are dumps from unreleased game prototypes.)

Back