What's new
Shit, the January 2018 release of the Darksoft Neo Geo is going to slow my plans to restore the Big Blue. Now I have to focus my attention on another 3Koam cabinet to restore: The Neo Geo Big Red.

BigReds.JPG

I guess that this is a good dilemma to have.
Man, I wish I could find one of those Neo Cabs and one of those Blue and white Neo Geo ones I see in Japan from time to time, oh and a big Blue :thumbsup:

Man, I wish I could find one of those Neo Cabs and one of those Blue and white Neo Geo ones I see in Japan from time to time, oh and a big Blue :thumbsup:
I am curious outside of the US and Japan, what cabs looked like in other countries during the hey days. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ship such large footprint cabinet overseas. Did they just ship the electronic components, then sub-contract out to a manufacturer to create the cab? Like what did an Aussie Killer Instinct cab look like?

I am curious outside of the US and Japan, what cabs looked like in other countries during the hey days.
Many of the Japanese game makers had their cabs made here and it started way back... early Donkey Kong cabs were made in Japan and shipped over, then they switched to manufacturing here in the USA and just shipping the monitors/PCBs and other electronics. So you can actually have 2 DK cabs next to either other with slightly different dimensions depending on where they were made. Heck even my Sega Virtual On Twin unit was made here in the USA but uses Nanao Monitors from Japan Next to the Japanese cabs you can tell they look similar but nearly every panel is different.

Other companies actually licensed their games. So Taito licensed Space Invaders and a number of their other games to Midway who manufactured and sold them in the USA market. Similarly Konami licenses DDR to Betson who manufactures their own version of the DDR cabs for the US market (much to the dismay of hardcore players because a number of the Betson cabs are crap)

The TMNT and MK2 cabs are the two non USA designs that really stick out in my mind. Here are some TMNT and Simpsons Aussie cabs:
20130818_113806.jpg

Here's a european MKII:
arcade.jpg

note how the control panel isn't a separate box.

Well, from the looks of those two pics, the Aussie had it > than us Americans. Bastards also have Sheila's and we don't. Damnit.

And Americans had it > Europeans when it came to MKII. We had more shoulder room with a separate wider box.

a lot of the aussie cabs I've seen are what they call "low boys" which IMO is really a terrible cab design:

lai_neo_geo_arcade_machine_lowboy_19991875.jpg

I guess they probably saved a lot on material though.

I also don't know what those joysticks are with the balltop, matching plastic shaft and domed dust washer, I see them on a TON of non US/non JP cabs though. (note that they're used on all the aussie cabs in the previous pic too)

Hi,

What's the tone of blue that you used?

Thanks!

Yeah, MCAs on the Aussie cabs. Tough as nails but crap to use. Some people like the feel of them, not me though. They're very stiff and don't provide much feedback. Operators loved them as they're near unbreakable.

Hi,

What's the tone of blue that you used?

Thanks!
I had it color matched at Home Depot to my G2 Big Blue cab.
I took a piece of my big blue in to a Sherwin Williams store and they matched the color exactly. I was trying to get them to match the type of paint also but they told me that whatever that Capcom used does not seem to be paint.

Also as a side note I hand rolled the paint with a small roller. I feel the finish came out pretty good.

3nRtdgZl.jpg

Here's a video of how it turned out.

Last edited:
Sherwin Williams, Home Depot, Lowes, Kelly Moore or whatever paint store can print up labels that you can take to the store so they can just scan the label to figure out the color mix and whip you up a new batch.

So @hackcell, what ever paint store you have in Costa Rica that operates in the US, let us know. We can have them print a label that we can send to you and you can have it mixed up on your side.

you used the sega amps? The cabinet looks nice
Yeah. I couldn't source a Capcom amp/transformer for a reasonable price at the time. The speakers however are original Capcom speakers.

Back