What's new

kazanova225

Student
Reaction score
yellow everyone

I recently acquired a Conbatribes board with issues. the game runs well but has some graphical glitches.
i inspected the board and it looks to have no physical damage. I have no sound but someone mentioned that it was probably because I did not have a -5 volts on the board.

here is a video of the board running.

video 1

I have been searching the web for schematic so far no luck, I found a video of the youtuber @doktorzett who did a repair on the same board and it gave me a bit of info.
with that I removed the B prom which was a bit hot, and was able to see the background layer. here which has what looks like things displayed at the wrong place in a wave pattern

video 2 background

after grouding pin 10 and 11 on the B prom socket I was able to display the city layer and the characters layers.
the city has the same glitches as the background and the characters layers has some pixel artefacts. see here

City layer
character layer

so this is where I'm currently stuck, any help will be much appreciated.
with @doktorzett video I was able to identify the multiplexes, the ram, the buffers and the bprom, the palette rams, my next move will be to probe those.

hopefully someone can help

Well, I'm a little late to the party, but these Combatribes boards are bad about graphic glitches like this. Usually it boils down to bad solder joints on one or both of the main custom chips (IC 84 and IC 33, but the boards i've had it's always been 84), likely due to board flex over time, or just crappy solder.
To determine which one, I usually put the board on something flat and stable, then press down on each corner of the chip firmly while it's running and watch to see whether it clears up.

Yup... I've fixed some by reflowing the SMT customs. Common problem - thin boards, easy to flex, treated poorly in storage...

ugh Combatribers...still have one with audio and input glitches in my closet. Just plays sound effects randomly and every button input is treated as ALL BUTTONS at once. I still need to work on fixing it

Back