What's new

Scillianaire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had a CPS3 for a year or two now and I had a friend over recently who asked me why I spent so much money on a CPS 3 when they can just die permanently at any time. I got mine for what I think is a good price so I certainly don't have any regrets but I hadn't heard that CPS3s can go boom at any time. What's the word on that?

yup, they are very sensitive to static and if the battery on the cart die so does the cart. Only way to bring it back is to convert it to a superbios cart

the battery in that cart was changed in 2019... so no reason to worry for a while. If it does suicide you can convert it to darksoft. also the motherboard and other hw don't die that easily. i also offered to change the battery for you if you still have the cart in 2024 or later.

ultimately it sucks that capcom built these things with suicide batteries in them... but it is what it is. It did to a large degree actually prevent bootlegging, which allowed capcom to keep making great games.

the battery in that cart was changed in 2019... so no reason to worry for a while. If it does suicide you can convert it to darksoft. also the motherboard and other hw don't die that easily. i also offered to change the battery for you if you still have the cart in 2024 or later.

ultimately it sucks that capcom built these things with suicide batteries in them... but it is what it is. It did to a large degree actually prevent bootlegging, which allowed capcom to keep making great games.
you're a pro. Best second-hand hardware buy ever.

Is it 3rd Strike you have? You didn’t specify the game.

I ask because with 2nd Impact carts, if they die, you can just remove the battery and they will start working again, ‘forever’, with no battery.

It is a 3s Asia region cart. Which I believe the bios is actually undumped? I didn't want to sell it, but also didn't want to give up a JP or USA cart at the time.

Back