What's new

hernan43

Student
Reaction score
I recently got a PGM motherboard on eBay. It had battery damage on it, however, it worked fine. I was able to play games on it. Sound, video, everything worked great.

A few days later(today) it booted with an unusual "TRAP 14" error. The error shows up both if there is no cart or if there is a cart it doesn't matter:

https://imgur.com/a/OI2I7To

I had been fiddling with its power supply before this so I thought it was that but it doesn't matter which power supply I use(I have 3 completely different ones), it still bugs out like this. I tried a different supergun(HAS) and it still has the same issue.

Nothing on the board gets hot, but one(IGS 023) does start to get warm after a while. I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Is the battery damage cleaned properly? I would start to check those VIAs and traces where the battery acid has done its damage.

I encoutered that error before. Was a severed trace on one of the busses due to battery leakage.

Yeah this board definitely has battery leakage damage on it. Not a ton, but enough. I'm going to see if the ebay seller is willing to do anything. If not then I might _attempt_ to fix it myself though I am not an electronomist so I have little faith. :)

If you try to clean and fix it yourself, I recently did one of these and here are some pictures:

Random Yet Necessary Hobbyist Activity of the Day

First apply some vinegar and let it stay there about 5 minutes so it neutralises the battery acid. Then get some IPA and wipe it good with toothbrush. Then I took a fiberglass pen and scratched all the damaged "stuff" away. I even used a needle to clean those VIAs. after that check that all of the traces and VIAs have continuity (with multimeter) and if not, you need to solder some jump wires there. That should do it.

Back