What's new

nam9

Champion
Reaction score
Does anyone have an overview of analog controls on the Naomi?
i.e. games use which analog channel for what in-game action?

Monkey ball for example uses AD0 for X-axis and AD1 for Y-axis.
Crazy Taxi uses AD0 for X-axis, AD1 for accelerate, AD2 for brake.

Is there anything approaching a standard between analog games?

Thanks in advance!

There isn't a standard however Many of these games shared cabs and as a result are usually wired the same.

All of the NAOMI Gun games (except Ninja Assault) use the same channels for X/Y positioning, Most likely because they all came in the same cabinet configurations. I'd suspect most analog joystick games use the same channels as well for the same reason, however not all of the driving games used the same channels and I'd suspect the odd-balls were the ones that shipped in unique cabinets.

AFAIK no one has made a list. But if you sit down with a Net-boot setup and go through the list of analog games you can probably come up with your own list of which games use which channels.

well the gun games and and the driving games are kind of special scenarios but it wouldn't be bad to have a list of games that are designed for use with analog joysticks.

a lot of the analog joystick games support them optionally allowing for 8-way sticks for conversion cabs. (so you may need to check the game test menu to enable analog control)

I know Zombie Revenge definitely supports them as do the baseball games (NAOMI Baseball/ Dynamite Baseball)
other games MIGHT support them are:
-Cannon Spike
-Cosmic Smash
-PowerStone 1/2
-Virtua Tennis 1/2
-Virtua Striker 2/3

Honestly, I'd try it with anything that allows for 3D movement. Even if a 2D fighter or SHMUP supported it... would you really want to use it with that?

I think I've tried Cosmic Smash and the Power Stone games with no luck. I could check again, I have an analog zombie revenge panel. With the capcom IO having an analog port on it you would think perhaps some capcom title would support analog control.

I have found that if you use a DC pad over the maple bus on Power Stone 2, your movement is analog with the DC controllers analog stick.

Zombie revenge supports digital or analog sticks (set in test mode). World series baseball is analog only with a bat controller (stick is AD0 and 1, bat is AD2)

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, perhaps i should clarify - I'm not looking to play all games with analog controls, just those that demand or are otherwise better games for it.

I tested out zombie revenge last night. Relative to Monkey ball I had to swap X & Y axes.. which were both inverted anyway... Digital joystick is probably good enough...

Interestingly enough I couldn't access the Test Menu in ZR. Just got a blank screen. Bad Rom?

Interestingly enough I couldn't access the Test Menu in ZR. Just got a blank screen. Bad Rom?
Possibly. Outtrigger does that and it's a problem with the Net/CF version of the game, the original carts enter the test menu without any issues. I don't recall Zombie Revenge having that issue, but it's also been a while since I tested so I can't say for sure.

I think I've tried Cosmic Smash and the Power Stone games with no luck.
Damn maybe it was just wishful thinking that Power Stone supported it since it's much nicer to play the DC version with Analog. Cosmic Smash could have gone either way really... it's a weird game.

I honestly haven't checked any of these games for analog support (this despite the fact that I've amassed a collection of about 8 of these analog sticks. Cannon Spike another one that really "should" support it gameplay wise and I'd be sorely disappointed if it doesn't lol.

@nam9 do you have a legit Monkey ball panel with the daughterboard attached to the analog stick?

EDIT: I came across a good post by codecrank on the channel layout for the baseball games: http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?t=28037#p387061

Last edited:
Damn maybe it was just wishful thinking that Power Stone supported it since it's much nicer to play the DC version with Analog. Cosmic Smash could have gone either way really... it's a weird game.
I actually love cosmic smash. Would have been cool to have analog support there.

Fairly certain my zombie revenge netboot image didn't have any problems with test mode. nam9 you can PM me if you need it.

Fairly certain my zombie revenge netboot image didn't have any problems with test mode. nam9 you can PM me if you need it.
Appreciated. Pretty sure i know what the answer will be though... insufficient power :(

Back