What's new

pacoarcade

Professional
Reaction score
Hi! I'm using a MiniFit-Jr connector in my Supergun and after much use I'm experiencing some voltage variation when I touch the connector, up to 0.2 Volts with hungry boards.

I'm not sure if this is expectable, maybe due to normal wear in the connector or because I'm currently using a somewhat rigid Alpha Wire 461626 cable with 16 AWG gauge to minimize voltage drop between different boards. Power cables are ~10 inches long.

I'm looking for more soft 16 AWG cable in Europe, any input is welcomed.

how many pins for each voltage, how many for ground?
i hope a few because those pins are really only good for maybe 4A in the longterm.

• 2x for ground
  • 2x for +5V
  • 1x for +12V
  • 1x for -5V
I'm going to try with a more flexible cable, this one is very rigid and it seems that the connector pins are not contacting properly.

Last edited:
Most likely its a contact issue.

Although you should not have to, you could try to solder the wire to the the connector pins after crimping, I have done that before with silicone coated wire. Works out pretty good.

You can also try cleaning the contacts/pins see if it helps, some maybe be a bit lose.

Thanks for the tips. I heard from an aerospace technician that Molex connectors are not designed to be soldered and it's better to just crimp to avoid wearing of the non-soldered part of the copper wire, but will try if this still happens when the new cable arrives. I tend to think the contact issue comes from the tip.

Using contact cleaner from time to time gives me good results to get lower voltage drop.

I got success using TE Connectivity / Raychem 400R0111-16-0 wire and gold plated Molex 45750-3211. The connector is just made, but it doesn't vary voltage when moving it and I only get 0.03V voltage drop with hungry boards like Bad dudes! amazing :)

Back