What's new

nassekova

Grand Master
Reaction score
So I had this Oriental Legend cart which had graphical glitches all over it. Game plays just fine but graphics are garbage. I'm not that much of a beat 'em up guy, but since I got nothing better to do i decided to give it a go.

Boot screen at first
alkuun.jpeg

At first I checked all four EPROM's agains MAME ones and all of them passed.
eeprommit_001.jpeg

After that I noticed that these two jump wires had kind of nasty connections on the chip legs
vanhat_hypyt.jpeg

Maybe they used some kind of acid as flux like in the 80s? ?(
dat_shiets.jpeg

Cleaned the shit out and got some beefier cables to do the job
uudet_piuhat.jpeg

Now it boots good and everything is golden until the game itself starts (after you choose your character)
alku_toimii.jpeg

posso.jpeg

But after that the snow is back :cursing:
vaan_peli_glitchaa.jpeg

I can play it but the white glitch is there even if I beat the first stage. Any ideas what to check next?

I don't have a adapter/reader for SMD components (unless VP598 somehow magically can read SMD too) so can't check them with diagnostics. Of course I could check those U8 legs with multi meter and see that solder pads are fine and everything is connected to traces if you meant that!

You could check the traces, and you can check the pinout with PGM Cartridge pinout .
If you have some PC/XT (i.e. 8-bit ISA slot) connectors you could read it with an arduino and some wiring.
The regular pattern could be the "text" overlay screen (~"Fix" on Neo Geo), with whatever character is empty replaced with some noise pattern.
Could be a dodgy pal/gal as well, that fails to correctly map the on-board or cartridge tile rom.

Back