What's new

zombie343

Student
Reaction score
Hi folks,
Apologies if this is the wrong place. My understanding is that Naomi setups require a SUN PSU (if you're using a Net DIMM + Netboot), as that PSU is capable of outputting 5V/7A and 3.3V 12A. Well, my question is: What do we do when those PSUs are no longer available, damaged, or ...just too difficult to be sourced? Is there any viable alternative to satiate the power-hungry NAOMI? D:

Any help, insight, theory-crafting or potential alternatives and solutions is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Thanks for your fast reply, but ...I was under the impression that you could only use a single (ATX) PSU with a NAOMI setup that is using an actual game cart, and not with a Net Dimm/Netboot setup.

Do you have supporting evidence otherwise or am I mis-informed?

An atx psu is in different output powers the higher the wattage the higher the max output rating will be. Powering a Naomi and dimm with an atx is no issue only thing is that most atx don’t have an adjustable 3.3 volts but that’s also not that much of an issue .

so yes you have been mis informed :) so don’t worry and play your games 8)

and you can get nice atx to Naomi looms on this forum from @Mitsurugi-w

here is the topic

ATX-2-Naomi Power Adapters

@zombie343 perhaps you are thinking about the Capcom IO which, when used to power the Naomi has issues supplying sufficient v3.3 under a NetDimm setup.

A Quality ATX PSU (with good cabling) should not give any issues.

Even the Capcom IO can be modified to work with the NetDimm according to @Derick2k
You can modify the Capcom Io, but its not worth the work. Just get a ATX supply, while you cant adjust the voltages, there should not be a need for it for jvs systems. I've been running a corsair rm750 for naomi netdimm setup for years now without issues, one thing I like about this psu is it does not get loaded so much with the naomi, it doesnt even need to turn on its fan to cool itself off, the heatsink alone is good enough.

Thank you for helping me understand the differences and where I was mis-understanding. I have a follow-up question:

If you're using a Naomi + Netdimm + Netboot + ATX PSU (no Capcom I/O), you can use VGA video, but what about access to controllers?

My goal is to play games on a Naomi + Netdimm + Netboot with a single, preferably ATX, PSU.

Thank you for your time!

What is your use case? Is it inside a cabinet or are you setting it up under a TV?

The Naomi runs JVS standard for handling controls.
The Capcom IO is a JVS adapter (you don’t need to power the Naomi through it).
There is a nice list of adapters here on Arcade Otaku.
Somthing like the Capcom IO, Sega 838-13683-93 or
Sega 838-13683-02 Jamma adapters could be a safe bet. All three will adapt control input to Jamma standard that would then work with a Supergun to give you your controller ports. Something like the HAS by @RGB or Minigun by @Frank_fjs.

Alternatively, you could do everything in one with something like the CBox by Axun (see @drfunk2k).
Plug your Naomi setup in one end and your controllers in the other.

I need to get an ATX PSU and test this out for one of my Naomi setups. @Derick2k, you are ok with the RM750? At a quick glance I don't see any pots for adjusting the outputs. And I assume you like the RM750 vs the RM750x cause of the cap ratings, correct?

Open to other options as well if anyone has a suggestion.

YMMV, but I am running on an HDPlex 160W (200W peak) PSU. This thing is really well built (as far as I can see), much higher quality than the average PicoPSU.

I would hazard that a high quality PSU is more important than raw Watts - also good quality cables in your ATX-Naomi adapter and don’t skimp on the wiring...

I imagine the Corsair would be just fine.

You can also use an original Dreamcast PSU to power the Naomi in a NetDIMM Multi set-up. It outputs the right voltages and can handle the amperage. It's also so much smaller than a Sun PSU.

I can't remember who mentioned it, but either @twistedsymphony or @Lemony Vengeance uses one. (Sorry for the @, I couldn't remember who it was between you guys)

And I assume you like the RM750 vs the RM750x cause of the cap ratings, correct?
Got it cause it was low cost lol, please dont get the corsair. You can get lower wattage, better quality ATX psu.
ATX psu dont have adjustment pots unfortunately.

There were a bunch of sega jvs suppplys on yaj not too long ago, newer models too, they sold pretty cheap.

You can also get a mean-well supply.

HDPlex 160W (200W peak) PSU
Those are nice, I had one when they 1st came out, I think they got revised at some point.
Dreamcast PSU to power the Naomi in a NetDIMM Multi set-up
I first heard it from @rancor , and I have used them. Work just fine, just recap them and they should be good to go.

Axun JVS/JAMMA Supergun for the win!!!
we even make an adapter to power the RASP pi on netdimm multi

look at before after pics ;)

hXsuomu.jpg

@drfunk2k Looks like a nice set-up for people looking for a new supergun.

But it's not really a viable alternative to the SUN PSU (the subject of this thread). An ATX or Dreamcast PSU so far seems to be the best choices, price and set-up wise.

Yeah picked up a cheap solid ATX and will see how this goes. May be a little bigger than needed, but should work well.

@drfunk2k Looks like a nice set-up for people looking for a new supergun.

But it's not really a viable alternative to the SUN PSU (the subject of this thread). An ATX or Dreamcast PSU so far seems to be the best choices, price and set-up wise.
i totally agree :D

What is your use case? Is it inside a cabinet or are you setting it up under a TV?

The Naomi runs JVS standard for handling controls.
The Capcom IO is a JVS adapter (you don’t need to power the Naomi through it).
There is a nice list of adapters here on Arcade Otaku.
Somthing like the Capcom IO, Sega 838-13683-93 or
Sega 838-13683-02 Jamma adapters could be a safe bet. All three will adapt control input to Jamma standard that would then work with a Supergun to give you your controller ports. Something like the HAS by @RGB or Minigun by @Frank_fjs.

Alternatively, you could do everything in one with something like the CBox by Axun (see @drfunk2k).
Plug your Naomi setup in one end and your controllers in the other.
This point of this thread is this: If it's possible to play Naomi + NetBoot under a TV with a SINGLE PSU, what will eventually replace the SUN PSU?

I want to:

0.) Only use 1 SINGLE PSU.
1.) Play the naomi under a TV
2.) Use the netboot kit with an RPi (I have the 5V RPi power cable that goes from NAOMI to RPi for power).
3.) Use any viable controllers, buttons of arcade stick to play the game that are served off the RPi -> NetDimm.

That's it.

I use the AXUN SuperGun (which is indeed great) for my testbench/supergun rig, and just a regular ATX PSU when I want to play in my cab.

Modding a ATX PSU to work with Naomi is pretty simple.

@zombie343 ah I didn’t know if you wanted to run this is a cab or on a TV. That wasn’t outlined in the OP. Then yeah, probably the Axun is your best bet.

Back