What's new

Aruruu

Beginner
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently in the process of consolizing a Ringedge2.
For controls, I'm using a Sega JVS I/O board (837-14572) wired to a Undamned USB decoder.

wiring.jpg

The I/O is detected and mostly works, but whenever any combination of 3 or more buttons/directions are held, all inputs are dropped, and fails to accept any more inputs until the buttons are released.
input drop.jpg
I'm powering the I/O board via the Ringedge's DC OUT connector, into the CN7 5v in connector. I don't have anything wired into CN1 (12v in), is that input necessary for the board to work properly?
I've re-checked my wiring to make sure I didn't have any 5v/Ground errors, and it all seems good following this pinout HERE
I've tried both the 8button and 6button jumper settings on the Undamned with no luck. I'm not sure if it's the JVS board or the USB Decoder causing the problem, so I wasn't really sure where to put this.
Has anyone else experienced something like this, or have any ideas with what could be the problem here? Thanks!

Is the problem appearing in multiple games?
Do you see the same symptoms without the USB Decoder installed?
Remove the decoder, enter test mode in a game, select input test, and enter a bunch of the inputs by touching the relevant wires to signal ground, and watch the screen.
This will help isolate where in your issue is.

@Aruruu were you able to figure out what the problem is? I'm thinking about doing something along the lines of this.

@Aruruu were you able to figure out what the problem is? I'm thinking about doing something along the lines of this.
It was a wiring error.
I was using the 60pin digital INPUT pins (5v/GRD) to attempt to power the undamned USB Board.
I instead ran it from the 20pin digital OUTPUT pins. 1 set of 5v/GRD to the Undamned board, 1 set of 5v/GRD to the 60pin digital INPUT pins. It seems to be working fine now, no button drops or anything of the like.
Just another note: I used the RE2's DC OUT connector to actually power the Sega I/O board, it seems to work well.

Just another note: I used the RE2's DC OUT connector to actually power the Sega I/O board, it seems to work well.
That's how it's wired in many cabs. DC OUT powers the I/O.

In a Lindbergh Universal you can remove the SUN PSU if you install a RE2.

Back