What's new

Chelnov

Professional
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just purchased a Shinobi board in ebay... It has not arrived yet.

any recommendations about any useful mods that I can do on it?

I was thinking of getting the Multi for it, Also it has one of those encrypted CPUs. do you know how long do you have on those to switch the battery before it it commits suicide?

Also I was reading about the multi I it looks like it wont work on an encrypted CPU. What do you recommend to get around that? should i purchse another board without the encrypted CPU or maybe I can buy the CPU somewhere?

Any Advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Keep the board, make it a multi, swap out the encrypted CPU and battery.

I wouldn't bother buying another board, I mean what's the point?

CPUs are available on eBay or I guess post in the WTB section, someone usually has them for about $10-20.

CPUs are available on eBay or I guess post in the WTB section, someone usually has them for about $10-20.
To elaborate a bit, the encrypted CPUs are easy to remove, they are socketed. You can gently pop them out with a flat head screwdriver. Take care to not scratch the board, but it's quite easy.
You will need an MC68000 CPU at 10Mhz or higher. You just to put it in the socket again, no special tools needed.

To elaborate a bit, the encrypted CPUs are easy to remove, they are socketed. You can gently pop them out with a flat head screwdriver. Take care to not scratch the board, but it's quite easy.You will need an MC68000 CPU at 10Mhz or higher. You just to put it in the socket again, no special tools needed.
Can I replace the CPU even if I do not get the multi? and use it just as a Shinobi? or does shinobi requires the encrypted CPU?

Thanks for the Info the truth is that from Sega system 16 I'm only really interested in Shinobi and Golden Axe but I never played any of the other games. I'll check them out in mame and see if I like them. Burning the ROMs in the EPROMs will be hard for me because I don't have an an EPROM writer.

Are you in Spain or in Atlanta? If in the US, it will be easy to get someone to burn them for you. Spain, I don't know.

As for the other games, there are MANY that are amazing. S16 is one of the best Sega systems ever!

I'll bein the US until Feb, then I'm going back to Spain for 3 months before returning to the US. Cool I'll put my name on that List! :)

To elaborate a bit, the encrypted CPUs are easy to remove, they are socketed. You can gently pop them out with a flat head screwdriver. Take care to not scratch the board, but it's quite easy.You will need an MC68000 CPU at 10Mhz or higher. You just to put it in the socket again, no special tools needed.
Can I replace the CPU even if I do not get the multi? and use it just as a Shinobi? or does shinobi requires the encrypted CPU?

Thanks for the Info the truth is that from Sega system 16 I'm only really interested in Shinobi and Golden Axe but I never played any of the other games. I'll check them out in mame and see if I like them. Burning the ROMs in the EPROMs will be hard for me because I don't have an an EPROM writer.
You need to use unencrypted ROMs if you remove the protection CPU. I think they are available for most games, Shinobi included.

For EPROM burning you can ask around and someone will help you out. if you're in Spain I can help out.

Nevertheless I recommend you buy a cheap burner such as the TL866 Minipro which will work fine for most stuff. An EPROM burner is something you should have in your arcade toolset.

Thanks ic3b4all!

I just got a MC68000P10 on ebay.

in the meantime I'm going to look into the EPROM burner. I'm in the US now but I kind of want to learn how to do it myself and this forum is of great for asking questions so Hopefully I'll be able to do it on my own.

What do you think of the PRG-113 True USB Willem GQ Brand GQ-4X V4 (GQ-4X4) USB Universal 40 pin Programmer + UV EPROM Eraser + 16 bit EPROM Adapter 28F102 27C400 27C800 27C160 27C322 27C1024 27C2048 27C4096 27c4002 M27C322 ?
that should cover all the bases.

Also thank you for the info about the encrypted roms and encrypted CPU now I understand :) .

I'm going to try to replace the battery without the CPU committing suicide just for conservation purposes. but I'm still waiting on the Jamma adaptor so even though I have the board I cant really test now.

Last edited:
Back