What's new
TL86 adapter is a great idea. Also rewards the early bird adopters.

Price point is decent also. Gets straight to the point without stuffing around hunting 128mb SIMMS, etc. and opens up the gateway to sell complete sets of SIMMS/SCSI2SD kits back to community.

I’m assuming for those without an actual CD drive, they can write the SIMMs using a SCSI2SD image all the same?

You can either burn a new CD and write the contents from that CD into the Simms. Take into account that the writing process via the BIOS is still the same, a bit faster, but not much. So for each game it will take 45 minutes and there are 8...... so 6 hours in total. Good news is that you only do it once and call it a day.
I have been working already a lot of hours on getting the new BIOS done. Right now, you can write individual files to the simm using the BIOS section called FILES & DISK.
Doing it, using the normal usual way where you write a new game from the BIOS or just insert a new CD, doesnt work 100% yet. All previous bugs like joystick moving too fast in the game selection menu, etc. are all fixed as well.

The other option that I'm evaluating is to sell also the small CPS3 New simm <-> TL86 adapter that I use for my tests, available for the people. With this adapter, it takes 1.5 minutes to write one simm, so in total you can have all 6 simms written in 9 minutes (as oppossed to 6 hours). I'm thinking of offering the first batch ONLY with this tiny programmer PCB + new set of 6 simms until the BIOS is 100% ready. Price should be around 500 USD for everything. When I feel that the new BIOS is 100% then I will offer the option to buy without adapter. That will make it only 50 USD cheaper, not more. What do you guys think?
You need a new BIOS. The existing one doesnt even recognize the new simms. A lot of work has been done to make the BIOS support new flashes from 2020.
With TL 86 adapter can we rewrite other simms for standard CPS3 or black CPS2? For the update older superbios cart, can use cd reader/ SD card or hardware flash?

No, TL86 doesnt support the flashes on original simms. Use the regular BIOS and go to section FILES&DISK for that.

To update BIOS, you need to open cart, desolder flash, reprogramm flash with new BIOS and solder back again.

My CPS3 is getting a $500 upgrade then :D , well you can offset the cost by selling the regular simms along with the scsi2sd, etc.. so its really not an expensive upgrade at all. Now who wants to buy a full set of regular simms and scsi2sd for $350 :whistling:

Last edited:
My CPS3 is getting a $500 upgrade then :D , well you can offset the cost buy selling the regular simms along with the scsi2sd, etc.. so its not really not an expensive upgrade at all. Now who wants to buy a a full set of regular simms and scsi2sd for $350 :whistling:
That's a businessman. You will upgrade to ZERO loading time and 8 games at once for $150.

Price is reasonable... I will have to start saving immediately...

Darksoft - I have a standard SH2 superbios cart from a few years back and have a GQ-4X programmer. What adapter would I have to get to manually flash/update the bios? I have some quikchip solder available to hopefully not damage the bios.

Thanks

No, TL86 doesnt support the flashes on original simms. Use the regular BIOS and go to section FILES&DISK for that.

To update BIOS, you need to open cart, desolder flash, reprogramm flash with new BIOS and solder back again.
THX maybe one of 100 first kit one without TL86 I take it.

well you can offset the cost buy selling the regular simms along with the scsi2sd, etc..
Won't you still need the scsci2sd? The non-NoCD versions still check for it on boot right? Or is that something being patched out?

well you can offset the cost buy selling the regular simms along with the scsi2sd, etc..
Won't you still need the scsci2sd? The non-NoCD versions still check for it on boot right? Or is that something being patched out?
Have to confirm with @Darksoft but I think its being patched out as he said you would not need a drive or scsi2sd.

Hopefully it's been sorted yet (lots of recent posts to wade through) but I'm hopeful for an easy method to change games after everything has been loaded to the SIMMs. Dip bank, switch dial, whatever...as long as I don't need to open the PCB enclosure to load the next game. I am not in the 3S cult, don't even really like that game very much. I keep this multi available for my friends who do prefer 3S. But I do enjoy 2I and I want to get into the other CPS3 games, including the 4th strike hack.

Short story is my multi won't be on 3S for the majority of time but I would prefer a fast and easy way to switch games, so I'm definitely on board for this solution.

It would be ridiculous if I didn’t say I’m interested. :D

Back