What's new

PlayYing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the title states, what is the CPS2 A rental board compatible with? Any gotchas I should know about this board?

Region compatibility for CPS2 is purely mechanical. Capcom made connector variations to prevent users from plugging things in from other certain regions. Typically, CPS2 "rental" motherboards are JP/US/EU, but Capcom Mexico / South America was known to Frankenstein things up pretty good, so in order to be certain what region it is compatible with, you need to look at the connectors.

Absolutely ignore the bogus info online about them being region free.
-ud

Region compatibility for CPS2 is purely mechanical. Capcom made connector variations to prevent users from plugging things in from other certain regions.
-ud
so for example,
if I take Hispanic A board
and replace all 4 connector from a us/Japan A board
I would be able to use us/Japan B board?

so for example,if I take Hispanic A board
and replace all 4 connector from a us/Japan A board
I would be able to use us/Japan B board?
Yes, but replacing all 4 connectors is a fool's errand. Just buy the appropriate board.
-ud

never the less its interesting to know
I can imagine a situation when this could be helpful

Are versions of the connectors that are keyed (or unkeyed) in such a way that they would work with any board region available?
Sounds like it'd be an interesting way to go about customizing a CPS2.
Replacing the connectors would be a hassle but not too bad.

Are versions of the connectors that are keyed (or unkeyed) in such a way that they would work with any board region available?
No. They differ not only in keying, but gender, and height. Capcom was not as simple minded as Taito (F3 keying). That's why any claim of universal rental board is false.
Replacing the connectors would be a hassle but not too bad.
96 pins per connector. I've done it probably a dozen times because of horribly mangled connectors. 10/10 would not recommend.
-ud

Back