Any interest in an AP wiki?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Any interest in an AP wiki?

New

I was complaining in another thread about how hard it is to find info on these forums and the problems it causes. IMO, ideally people would just contribute to the AO wiki and that could be the definitive source of knowledge from this forum and elsewhere. But I guess there are some "culture" problems with the AO wiki, along with some content that's not allowed there that is allowed here. So I wonder if there's any interest in a wiki to go with these forums? I know that still means you now have two wikis, but that still seems better than one wiki and a bunch of threads. I have a feeling this must have come up before but I figured it was worth asking.
    • New

I was thinking of creating a Sega repository with free access to decrypted files (in the form of xdelta files for copyright reasons), PAL dumps, gerbers for boards reproduction, etc.

Maybe a wiki is better.
      Looking for:
      - faulty Space Harrier or Enduro Racer
      - Super Nintendo CPU (3 needed)
      - Sega trackball I/O board 837-8685 (will be reproduced and gerbers made freely available)

"I'd 1cc games but I have a real life."
      01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

I think the Wiki is a great idea, there's enough users here with expertise in different areas to contribute. It would help preserve summaries of legit information contained in various posts here and give a point of reference to point people to.
      Multis: CPS-1, CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, S16, ST-V, MVS, AES, M72, Crystal System, G-Net, Naomi, TTX2
      Screens: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD, AR25M31, XR29M31, BL2411PT, BL2700HT
      Devices: Sentinel Gold / Ultracade uVC / JAMMAizer! / Framemeister XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile
    • New

What "culture" problems do you speak of, @mv1f? Aside from discussions on how to circumvent security or other questionably legal content, I don't think there's any issues with using the AO wiki. I frequently add content there, including stuff I find here. I don't see any need to reinvent the wheel or duplicate what already exists. I believe @SuperPang is a member here, and I'm sure he would be happy to take any of your feedback.

Never heard of PCBOtaku wiki, but seems like a good place to put everything that isn't permitted on the AO wiki.

Just my two cents.
    • New

kazuo wrote:

What "culture" problems do you speak of, @mv1f?
      I think he's talking of all the forbidden topics they have there. To me it's a limiting factor and will cut a good chunk of Arcade Projects knowledge from making it there.
      Looking for:
      - Sega trackball I/O board 837-8685 (will be reproduced and gerbers made freely available)

01010011 01000101 01000011 01010010 01000101 01010100 00100000 01001101 01000101 01001110 01010101 00100000 01000111 01010101 01011001
    • New

Are my ears burning? :D

We have had a few rules in place at AO with regards to multi's and the like for a few years now. To save you the trouble of reading the fine print, what I personally object to is..

• Irreversible damage when converting a game. Yeah, I know, it was probably a shit game but it's still a shame isn't it. Preservation of original hardware is important. Nobody wants to look back in 20 years to find everything's been butchered.
      • Knocking them out for profit. Worse still, conversions that end up being passed on as original.
      • Dealing with current or very recent titles. Similar to how MAME (usually) tread carefully so as not find themselves with a cease and desist, but more for the sake of an already struggling industry to be honest.

The AO Wiki has been quite a success (I certainly take no credit for that) and I agree it's a shame if users feel they have to look to a new platform for certain information. Is there something particular you are looking to add that you think falls outside the rules? I will see what cools and the rest of the team think.
    • New

I've seen some ridicule of AP users from the AO side, in one case avoiding selling to someone here because "they might turn it into a multi".

I agree with your points about preservation.

I find the AO community to be serious about original hardware. I tend to avoid talks about knock offs while over there.

A AP wiki could include information about good mods to do to hardware that are reversible or looked good upon that AO wiki might not consider including.

I find the user base of AO more on the European side but this might just be my own ignorance of user base. AP seems to have a healthy mix.

The AO wiki has been a huge help.

Just some thoughts
    • New

SuperPang wrote:

Irreversible damage when converting a game. Yeah, I know, it was probably a shit game but it's still a shame isn't it. Preservation of original hardware is important. Nobody wants to look back in 20 years to find everything's been butchered.
      All the multis developed here and available are 100% reversible. Most actually don't even need to solder a single wire.
      Regarding conversions I've never heard of irreversible damage. Replaced chips can be pulled again and OG ones reinstalled, severed traces can be patched. Not ideal I agree but not irreversible either.
      BTW nobody cares about hardware preservation, I found a LOT of mistakes in MAME for instance, mostly because the focus had been put on software. Most of those errors or remaining questions can be answered in 5mn if you have the hardware handy.
      Also we need custom chips reproduction.

SuperPang wrote:

• Knocking them out for profit. Worse still, conversions that end up being passed on as original.

Conversion files released here are free.
      I regularly see people profiting on the back of our fellow members... Sad indeed.
      Agree with the conversions being passed as OG, but you won't find that here.

SuperPang wrote:

• Dealing with current or very recent titles. Similar to how MAME (usually) tread carefully so as not find themselves with a cease and desist, but more for the sake of an already struggling industry to be honest

That's also the rule here.

Are there any other rules we should be aware of?
      Looking for:

• New

I really think unless it's conversion specific or otherwise directly violates the AO wiki rules, it's silly to make a new one. We (the arcade community as a whole) have a fantastic resource already in the AO wiki and if people put in the time to add to that, everyone would benefit. It would also solve the "arcade information is fractured throughout the internet and I can't find what I need" problem pretty well.

Unless there's some sort of pissing contest about who has the best resource on their site (which very much doesn't seem to be the case), there's almost no reason to not just put effort into making the one wiki better, rather than make a new one.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, and an SNK SC-25.

Shameless plug: Rewrite's Recaps - Your monitor and PSU recapping service center
    • New

Kavas wrote:

A AP wiki could include information about good mods to do to hardware that are reversible or looked good upon that AO wiki might not consider including.
      To further elaborate on my earlier point:

Not sure if it's within the scope of what a wiki does, but those IGS PGM boards fluffy makes should be listed somewhere more prominently imo. Is AP the only place they are advertised? Until his boards came around the only alternative was to track down insanely rare and expensive IGS Dodonpachi, etc boards or buy conversions off aliexpress from china where they would take other sought after and rare carts like Demon Front and molest them. I am happy to have new reproduction carts that run on original hardware and that the community agrees run 1:1 like the original. Not sure this information would be safe on the AO wiki even though it is critical to the preservation of original hardware. I am sure there are other such things the AP community contributes that should be out there.

As someone pointed out earlier there is lots of information that has been started by an original poster who may no longer be around or doesn't wish to continue upkeep on the post years down the line. A good example is the mike moffet RGB mods to televisions over on the shmup forums. Have to fish through 100+ pages to find postings on a certain model of TV. Over here I am not sure posts started in 2016 have the most up to date or relevant information. I think these forums are great for members of the community to have a back and forth dialogue and sort things out. Be nice to then have a wiki to keep the most up to date information at based on the consensus of those talks.

Whenever I get into a new line of arcade hardware, I get the breakdown of it on AO wiki, then read tons and tons of threads here on AP about what cool mods and alternatives are made for it. I am fine with spending hours sifting through forum threads but I have seen folks who just want the tl:dr version.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kavas ().

• New

i think we need our own wiki regarding hardware/software, mods, conversions, etc....as well hardware detailing what connects to what and also a manual/wiring diagram/schematic database.

Found: Garegga, Bakraid, Gunnail, Hyper Duel
      Wanted: PCBs - Batsugun, Rapid Hero, Air Gallet Arts/Pop/Manuals - Garegga, Bakraid
      Vewlix CP Shipping Brackets (2x red sets preferred)
    • New

Wiki's are ok, but it's difficult to determine where the information is actually coming from and there's little room for open discussion that can lead to refining of that information. I do realize that with most wiki software there's a discussion page and a history page that show these things, but it's often unused or not used properly; wikis in general are not very user friendly from an update/maintenance perspective. Then you have the problem of troll users, I've seen some wikis get wiped out or constantly spammed by malicious users, and moderating the wiki to protect against that can sometimes be more challenging than moderating a forum.

I think a big part of why so much good information appears here on AP is BECAUSE we're still using a forum to hold that information.

There's a lot more we can do to improve the ease of access to that info other than simply creating another wiki.

An Example:
      When you look at the NAOMI sub-forum it's a joke because there's a bout 20 sticky threads there, and because there are so many sticky threads written by different people it's not immediately apparent what important info is in each of them from the thread title, nor are they in any discernible order. Not to mention because there are so many sticky's already, we might be hesitant to add new important threads because there are already so many...

To solve this, back in the Xbox Scene days, we'd take a few active member of each of the various technical forums and give them mod privs to those forums, in addition to normal moderation duties they'd then be responsible for managing a SINGLE sticky that was essentially a directory to the important threads in that forum. this person could then make that directory easy to browse and find exactly what you're looking for because they could add as many or as few important threads as they'd need to and organize them by topic and link them with consistent names.

and you don't have to just link to whole threads, if there is say a very important post buried in the middle of a 100+ page thread, the directory can link DIRECTLY to it with an appropriate link title. Similarly you can link off site (like say to the AO wiki) so that information that's already there doesn't need to be duplicated.

So now users who want to find info on NAOMI have a single sticky that they can visit that's the entry point to all the key threads in the forum.

And because you're tasking active members in each of these forums, they're likely active enough that they'll be reading all the new posts and will be best equipped to know what needs to go into that sticky and what doesn't, these people will also be able to move threads out of their forum and into other more appropriate forums when things get posted in the wrong place.

Another key factor here is that you're only giving these people mod privs to 1-3 sub-forums so that they're not overwhelmed and they can actually keep up with the content. When I was a Head Moderator on XS I could mod the whole forum, but I was only tasked with managing 2 sub-forums and it kept the job reasonable.

IMO a curated content approach like this would be much more beneficial than creating yet another content "Bucket" off of the forum.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • New

I love the idea, the important info/writes ups/guides info needs to be copied/maintained/locked, etc..by an admin/mod so that post/info doestnt go "missing"/get deleted, etc...because that member disagrees, etc and choses to dele all their post.

Ex..this excellent write up/guide you did

How to Net-boot NAOMI/Tri-Force/Chihiro Using Pi-Force Tools

So lets say you get pissed and say fucked it and delete/edit all your post with garbage info.

Details on how this works cab be worked out :) Cause we have seen it happen that info goes missing/gets deleted, etc...

Wanted: PCBs - Batsugun, Rapid Hero, Air Gallet Arts/Pop/Manuals - Garegga, Bakraid
    • New

Derick2k wrote:

I love the idea, the important info/writes ups/guides info needs to be copied/maintained/locked, etc..by an admin/mod so that post/info doestnt go "missing"/get deleted, etc...because that member disagrees, etc and choses to dele all their post.

So lets say you get pissed and say fucked it and delete/edit all your post with garbage info.

Details on how this works cab be worked out :) Cause we have seen it happen that info goes missing/gets deleted, etc...
      Ouch :whistling:

If info goes missing, maybe understand what's causing that and work towards dealing with those reasons!
    • New

Murray wrote:

Derick2k wrote:

Ouch :whistling:
      If info goes missing, maybe understand what's causing that and work towards dealing with those reasons!
      Well a lot of info get links to outside the forum, pdfs, pics, etc..when those links go down not more info. A misunderstandings happens/people disagree and stuff get deleted/ goes missing :whistling: so....gotta find a way to keep said info while still being updated/maintained is all im saying :D

• New

Derick2k wrote:

the important info/writes ups/guides info needs to be copied/maintained/locked, etc..by an admin/mod so that post/info doestnt go "missing"/get deleted, etc...because that member disagrees, etc and choses to dele all their post.
      most forum software (including our current forum software) gives moderators the tools to undelete, or roll back to previous edits... none of that info is ever really lost so long as the forum itself is still around.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade