What's new

kardus

Student
Reaction score
I recently obtained a CPS3 and got a converted SuperBIOS cart which I'm loving so far. I'm using it with a SCSI2SD, HAS supergun with it and the custom plexi:

_20160622_181813.JPG

Although it is a great setup, I find myself looking for something more streamlined as the setup will be moved a lot. So, I'm going with my original idea of making a standalone consolized CPS3 with everything in one chassis. For this project I will not be using the HAS but I will be using another supergun project with encoding circuitry, since it is possible that RGB monitors may not always be available to use with the setup. Here's the PCB for the supergun (more info on that here):

IMG_20160714_120524.jpg

The board is only ~4x4" so that should save a lot of space for the final enclosure. I will most likely be using a mini-itx powersupply to save some more space as well. The first step is actually finding an appropriate enclosure at a hopefully reasonable price. I've been looking at par-metal enclosures but any other suggestions would be appreciated. To keep the cost for this low I'm not going to bother with any custom holes or cutting -all the input and output jacks (neutrik or through-chassis) will all be circular holes I will drill myself.

The other thing I need to tackle is component layout, and if ill have any boards stacked on top of each other with a series of standoffs. Other than the CPS3 board there is the SCSI2SD, supergun board, and power supply. I've been having a hard time getting the undamned DB-15 USB adapters so I may go with the USB-board version which would add 2 small PCBs. I've also been considering getting one of those Pico-PSUs (the supergun is actually designed to take an ATX power connector), in which case I could use an external brick which would cut significantly on the final size, although using a conventional PSU might be better for this project.

As far as inputs/buttons, I would like to have both DB15/USB inputs for P1/P2, and coin ups on the front. On the back there will be RGB (BNC) with pots, S-video, Composite outputs. I might also add component with a separate transcoder board. I'd like to have RCA jacks for both mono/stereo audio out toggable with a switch and possibly the unamped audio from the board as well. I'll probably also throw in some external test/service buttons on the back too.

I am going to follow it closely. Very interesting!

Two short clips of the CPS3 in action :)

I'm ordering the remaining parts I need for the new supergun tomorrow and will hopefully post an update when that's done. I'm still looking for an appropriate case- does anyone know any companies that do enclosures? Steel or preferably aluminum is fine.

How much power do you need? I've gone with a 160W ATX PSU rather similar to the PicoPSU, albeit in a different form factor.
HD Plex also offer a 250W PSU in a slightly larger footprint, but still only 150x50mm in size...

Back