What's new
Test it. This firmware number doesn't change after updating. That was because during testing if something was wrong we would just re-update using the older firmware. It is a part of the testing process that Darksoft didn't remove. I bet it works just fine though.
That's right. It will work but keep still the version as 3.11

Hi Mitsu, thanks for your comments.

Hi tested it after the update with a couple of CF Cards, the game boots and works for about 2-3 minutes before reboots.

Funny thing, this doesn´t happend on the rest of my Triforce units, only this one.

Any ideas?

Best regards.

Hi guys, huge problem here.

As you can see by me previous post, one of my triforces refuses to be upgraded.

Problem is, right now that triforce is unable to use original or third party CF cards, the system boots, load the game and start the program. After a couple of minutes (2 to 5, it´s random) the system reboots and shows the 26 Error code (Media Board).

I have tried to load the original firmware again, but the system claims that is up to date.

Did anyone have any firmware I can use to recover the original state?

I assume firmware upgrade is causing this, since I already change the Ram, PIC, CF Adapter, I(O, usb cables, Power Supply, etc, etc, so my last option is to downgrade to the previous version.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Best regards.

Contact Darksoft. We had a version we used during testing to restore to factory.

Curious though. Does this one have any noticeable hardware differences or jumper differences than the other two? My Triforce will actually do this also but Darksoft's would run all day and never reset. If I paid attention to my voltages I could get it to reset much later. I don't think it's a problem with the firmware itself. When I hooked up a meter to my Triforce I found it would reset randomly right after the voltages suddenly dropped below around 4.5V. Something seemed to be suddenly drawing more load on the pcb.

Hi Mitsu, thanks for the tip regarding the voltages, I will keep an eye on them.

I also test the board with severals PSU´s, just in case, but I come out with the same result.

The board doesnt have any noticeable difference in jumpers or PCB, in fact, I have switched the Media and Net Board between this one and another one working, with the same results.

Anyway, I will check it later and let you know how it goes.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Hmm no way that tiny change in the firmware will "draw" more power. No way.

Error 26 is an error with the keychip and this is where I would be looking at. Try a different pic and make sure that keychip reader is connected properly.

Hello Dark.

I have swapped the chip with another one from a working board, even the chip socket and the Media board it self, same result....

Any ideas?

Hello Dark.

I have swapped the chip with another one from a working board, even the chip socket and the Media board it self, same result....

Any ideas?
some of the connector between boards can be loose. Specially between bottom and medium or medium and media board.

Thanks for the tip, Since I even swapped the Media & Net Boards with another Mobo I check all connectors and seems to be ok.

Can we try to downgrade to the previous firmware just to discard a software issue?

Best regards.

Just installed this on my triforce in my f-zero machine yesterday and no issues so far.
I would like to be able to use the original F-zero security key and not a netboot one to run this.
Where could I find a clean still encrypted dump of the game and will naomicf still put it on a card?

Hi there!

Well bad news for me as well...Seems I've got the same kind of problem after I update my TRIFORCE 3, pretty much like 'Logan McCloud' described earlier.

Here are two videos of my system (updating the firmware and net booting / running "Virtua Striker 2002")

Everything went great and smooth. I was able to play the game but after a while my system started rebooting at random times. I checked and rechecked all possible connections / cables etc etc...nothing improved.

Is it useful to mention that I removed the supercap and my board still has the old Lithium battery pack (doesn't get any charge...) ?
I ran out of ideas.I can't think anything else than downgrading to the previous firmware.

I was wondering if you might be able to give me some advice....I will appreciate any help!

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello GeoAnas, thanks for the reminder, I almost forgot this thread.

I downgrade to the previous version, but the problem still persist, so to avoid any issue related to the power supply I switch to an original SEGA SUN Psu and adjust the +5v line (from 5.00 to 5.30v), and the situation improve, a little.

Instead rebooting after a couple of minutes, the mobo keep the game running for more time, maybe 20 to 30 minutes, but sooner or later it will reboot and shows the 26 error.

Since everything failed I start swaping componentes with one of my other working Triforces, Ram, CF Card, CF Reader, Media Board, etc...

Unfortunately the system refuse to work and keeps rebooting from time to time.

Best regards.

Thanks for your clarifications!
I was thinking that this problem might related to the power supply I am using (well...among other reasons)
My psu is taken from an old PC (branded PAN STAR -go figure :) - with max power output at 235W). It also feeds my Raspberry I + LCD display too.
I measured all power outputs with a multimeter. All indications are rock solid, no power surges or anything else that might look suspicious.

I think, I'll leave my system's firmware as it is now. I will try to modify a more powerful supply in the future...My NAOMI 1, runs very smoothly with exactly the same psu though...

Instead rebooting after a couple of minutes, the mobo keep the game running for more time, maybe 20 to 30 minutes, but sooner or later it will reboot and shows the 26 error.

Since everything failed I start swaping componentes with one of my other working Triforces, Ram, CF Card, CF Reader, Media Board, etc...

Unfortunately the system refuse to work and keeps rebooting from time to time.

Found the solution to this and to all my problems!
It was nothing to do with either power supply or other exotic components. The very bottom pcb in cage is the culprit. I replaced every single cap on this pcb and voilà!...No more reboot or lockup issues!
These smd capacitors tend to get dry cause the excessive heat inside the cage. I am not so sure about their quality though...
I recaped my Triforce with quality electrolytic (through hole) caps, using the same technique like I did for several 'GameGear' or 'PC engine GT' portable consoles.
Everything work nice and smooth now! ;)

Do you have a cap list? Mine reset often. I noticed really big voltage fluctuations that cause the resets.

Oh!,alas not...and they are too many of them. I was so angry with this Triforce, I completely forgot to take notes. It took me about 2 hours to get the job done.
I am planing to recap another Triforce next week. I will do my homework then and let you know...

I bet that these dried out smd caps could be the root of your problems too...

Back