What's new

Pacheco

Student
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm a total new owner of an Astro City.

Came with a Nanao MS8-29fsg - Screen shows white with several patches of green and purple and the remote control doesn't do anything neither. It pulsates too.

Tweaking with H.Hold makes the screen shut down black after some seconds but the game keeps running normally.

I tried to dust everything with canned air but now the Nanao board also sparks after I plug the whole thing on.

Attached some footage:
I'm out of clues where to start - Not really tech savvy on CRTs or chassis but I'm willing to learn and repair it.

Any help for a newbie?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
Green and purple patches are it needing to be degaussed. Assuming the button is wired up, just press the degauss button and that'll be sorted.

If it's sparking, something is definitely hooked up wrong. Don't keep turning it on in the state it's in. Figure out where it's sparking and start looking around there.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Rewrite - I'll check the chassis up more closer after I got some security torx to disassemble the whole thing.

I'll put my findings here after then.

Thanks for the help!

That sparking is super weird looking. I wouldnt keep turning it back on as rewrite stated. If you get the chassis out inspect the area where the sparks were your probably gonna see some scorch marks on that big metal heat sink. It looks like 'something is arcing or grounding to the heat sink when it shouldnt be.

I noticed too is your neck board on the back of the tube fully seated? It looks almost crooked too like it was twisted or something?? maybe I am losing my mind here??? Be very gentle with that neck board if something is wrong with it or the socket on the back of the neck.

Now that I've seen the footage, your SCREEN pot is up way high. Per the guide, dial it back until the raster lines are not visible.

That sparking IS really weird looking. Does it make any fun sounds?

And +1 on "is that neck card on crooked?!".

Removing the chassis and having a look at it should tell a lot, I think.

If that neck board is crooked and the pins to the color guns and stuff are shorting some how it could I guess in theory cause your screen to go full psychedelic lol 8|

Now that I've seen the footage, your SCREEN pot is up way high. Per the guide, dial it back until the raster lines are not visible.

That sparking IS really weird looking. Does it make any fun sounds?

And +1 on "is that neck card on crooked?!".

Removing the chassis and having a look at it should tell a lot, I think.
The sparks makes the screen colors pulsate at the same pace after I plug everything on - for the sake of science I let the sparks go for a while but after 30 seconds or so it starts cracking like crazy like if the whole chassis is going to explode.

I got some audio footage - I'll try to submit it later.

That sparking is super weird looking. I wouldnt keep turning it back on as rewrite stated. If you get the chassis out inspect the area where the sparks were your probably gonna see some scorch marks on that big metal heat sink. It looks like 'something is arcing or grounding to the heat sink when it shouldnt be.

I noticed too is your neck board on the back of the tube fully seated? It looks almost crooked too like it was twisted or something?? maybe I am losing my mind here??? Be very gentle with that neck board if something is wrong with it or the socket on the back of the neck.
The neck board sure is crooked - The whole thing came out that way from the courier. I'm a beginner on these beauties and I've just realized the whole chassis was hanging out of its base just last night so the whole thing came messed up and I didn't realized until now.

Thanks for all the kind advice - I'll try to remove the chassis over this week and see what we got behind it.

For the sake of science you may need a new chassis...

Continuing to mess with it is most likely continuing to do damage, especially with your last post. Like continuing to drive a car with a blown head gasket, you're going from "very fixable" to rolling the dice that you'll do permanent damage or not every time you turn it on.

When it didn't work out if the truck you should have talked to the seller and the courier about insurance. Now that it's signed for and you've had it a few days most couriers are going to outright deny you. So you're probably going to have to talk to the seller (but most folks won't be happy to hear you've been messing with it, honestly).

Bro, what are you doing????? Power it off, discharge the tube, and reseat everything/go over it, and that neckboard definitely looks like its installed improperly, which could be the cause of everything going wrong, hopefully you havent cause further damage. That sparking/arcing is no bueno.

for the sake of science you should keep it on all night and see if it burns your house down....

Seriously take that chassis out and send it to someone to repair it or get a replacement.

Hi guys,

Excuse to make a moron of myself with my "sake of science" comment. I haven't plugged it, checked it or did anything else with the cab since yesterday when the problem first started to happen.

I talked with the last owner and the Cab was fine when I first checked it - I think the monitor / chassis was damaged across the trip to my house due to the courier mishandling.
Anyways, I promise I won't burn my house down or kill myself on the process & thanks again for all the advice.

I'll try to dismantle & and safely trouble shoot the whole thing over the next days .

We understand you may be new to this Pacheco and that is why we are all here to help each other with this great hobby.

I think others made the point clear enough at this point about not turning it back on and leaving it on in its condition. Lesson learned things happen. You have a very strange case and at the time it may have seemed appropriate to get more recordings.

That's a real shame on the shipping and that it was possibly banged up in the process. It probably is too late to blame it on the freight courier at this point sadly. You should still try to work with the seller and the shipping company to prove your case though but it may be difficult if there is not a before and after evidence to make the case strong enough to have the courier cover losses.

As mentioned previously speaking to the seller may help in some for or fashion if you both are patient with each other in explaining things. He does have a right though to push the issue back on the shipping company. /
This is why with expensive purchases its always best to check right away or before signing. I think some of us have had some kind of similar issues happen if your in any vintage electronics hobby long enough. So a good lesson to learn none the less, live and learn.

The neck board the small board at the very back of the tube is what I was referring to. It is completely crooked, I just have never seen that happen before but I know it could be possible I suppose if improperly handled some way or abused.
The neck board should never be twisted at an angle, at least I never seen anything like it.
It needs to be vertical or horizontal with the orientation of the tube as it only plugs in on the back in one direction only. If you rotate the tube the neck board will rotate with it and also usually the chassis if its on the frame with the CRT so you don't see them at an angle like you had shown.

Since you say it is crooked, the pins that connect the tube and that board together could be seriously damaged or mangled and touching each other or who knows what.
If this is the case it could cause all kinds of very bad things to happen. Those pins create your color images inside the tube among other things and also carry some slightly higher voltages. If they short it could short the tube or the chassis.

Hopefully the tube is not destroyed or the pins on the back neck where that small neck board connects. If the pins are destroyed or broken beyond some form of saving it will more than likely be the death of it. I would rather replace the chassis than locate a new tube entirely my self so lets hope for the best.

Be very very careful removing the neck board, the pins are delicate. Judging by the fact the neck board is already crooked you need to be extra gentle with the process. The usual procedure to remove the neck board is to just gently pull it straight back towards you, away from the tube.

Once that neck board and chassis is off get a picture of the back of the tube where the pins poke out and also some pictures of the chassis :)

It goes with out saying but make sure the monitor is complete discharged before doing any of this.

God speed my friend

Last edited:
Holy guacamole!

Your chassis has completely fallen out of the cage and is dangling by its wires!!!! The bottom of your chassis is touching the ground (cage)!! There's supposed to be a lot of screws that hold it in place, but yours are obviously missing. This is on the seller, not the shipping courier.

You're also missing your neck board shroud, which is important for electrical safety.

Please remove the entire monitor with the chassis and secure everything in place. I'd get a friend to help you grab the chassis as you pull the tube out, since it's dangling. Discharge the tube (easily googlable) and re align everything. If you need reference pictures, I'm more than happy to take pics of mine. I have the exact same monitor.

5Z6eSdJl.png

Edit: Notice that the chassis should be here within the cage, along with a straight neck board

JXNPPZml.png

Last edited:
Yeah if the chassis is just dangling by the wires then that is probably why the neck board is crooked because the chassis wasnt secured.

So the truck probably hit a bump the chassis fell down and jerked the neck board sideways. I am really scared the pins on the tube might be bent up or snapped or something.. :S :/

Everyone is worried about the chassis and tube, but I am worried about YOU. No experience touching a sparking chassis/tube? I wouldn't recommend touching a working condition monitor until you at least know what a neck board and anode cap is and some safety measures.

You live in Texas ? Aren't there plenty of arcade folks out there?

We understand you may be new to this Pacheco and that is why we are all here to help each other with this great hobby.

I think others made the point clear enough at this point about not turning it back on and leaving it on in its condition. Lesson learned things happen. You have a very strange case and at the time it may have seemed appropriate to get more recordings.

That's a real shame on the shipping and that it was possibly banged up in the process. It probably is too late to blame it on the freight courier at this point sadly. You should still try to work with the seller and the shipping company to prove your case though but it may be difficult if there is not a before and after evidence to make the case strong enough to have the courier cover losses.

As mentioned previously speaking to the seller may help in some for or fashion if you both are patient with each other in explaining things. He does have a right though to push the issue back on the shipping company. /
This is why with expensive purchases its always best to check right away or before signing. I think some of us have had some kind of similar issues happen if your in any vintage electronics hobby long enough. So a good lesson to learn none the less, live and learn.

The neck board the small board at the very back of the tube is what I was referring to. It is completely crooked, I just have never seen that happen before but I know it could be possible I suppose if improperly handled some way or abused.
The neck board should never be twisted at an angle, at least I never seen anything like it.
It needs to be vertical or horizontal with the orientation of the tube as it only plugs in on the back in one direction only. If you rotate the tube the neck board will rotate with it and also usually the chassis if its on the frame with the CRT so you don't see them at an angle like you had shown.

Since you say it is crooked, the pins that connect the tube and that board together could be seriously damaged or mangled and touching each other or who knows what.
If this is the case it could cause all kinds of very bad things to happen. Those pins create your color images inside the tube among other things and also carry some slightly higher voltages. If they short it could short the tube or the chassis.

Hopefully the tube is not destroyed or the pins on the back neck where that small neck board connects. If the pins are destroyed or broken beyond some form of saving it will more than likely be the death of it. I would rather replace the chassis than locate a new tube entirely my self so lets hope for the best.

Be very very careful removing the neck board, the pins are delicate. Judging by the fact the neck board is already crooked you need to be extra gentle with the process. The usual procedure to remove the neck board is to just gently pull it straight back towards you, away from the tube.

Once that neck board and chassis is off get a picture of the back of the tube where the pins poke out and also some pictures of the chassis :)

It goes with out saying but make sure the monitor is complete discharged before doing any of this.

God speed my friend
Thanks for the kind words friend - This is a hobby I always loved to get into and thanks for all your help on this.
To be honest, I never manipulated this kind of CRT circuitry before and wasn't aware of all the damaged it's been done already to the monitor and chassis.

Hopefully and I'm crossing my fingers here, this wasn't beyond repair.

Thanks for all the advice on this - I'll try to follow the steps you mentioned and I'll update you soon.

Holy guacamole!

Your chassis has completely fallen out of the cage and is dangling by its wires!!!! The bottom of your chassis is touching the ground (cage)!! There's supposed to be a lot of screws that hold it in place, but yours are obviously missing. This is on the seller, not the shipping courier.

You're also missing your neck board shroud, which is important for electrical safety.

Please remove the entire monitor with the chassis and secure everything in place. I'd get a friend to help you grab the chassis as you pull the tube out, since it's dangling. Discharge the tube (easily googlable) and re align everything. If you need reference pictures, I'm more than happy to take pics of mine. I have the exact same monitor.

5Z6eSdJl.png

Edit: Notice that the chassis should be here within the cage, along with a straight neck board

JXNPPZml.png
Oh man, this is worst than I expected. I didn't knew such piece carried the whole neck board :/
I believe neither the seller wasn't well informed about this piece too, I'm worried this come be the root of the problem.

Hopefully I'll try to test the board soon and expect the best.

Once again everyone, thanks for all the helpful advice! You are the best.

I'll keep reading your comments on this and I'll update with information soon.

Nice day!

Oh, the neckboard shroud doesn't actually hold anything. It's just there to prevent people from touching things. The neckboard is held up by just the tube, like my second pic.

If you ever have any doubts about touching something let us know or look up about it first.

Retro Tech on youtube has great videos.

He has a few CRT Safety videos just search "Retro Tech CRT Safety" in youtube. Familiarize your self with things and you will be fine.
It is always a little scary working on a CRT for the first time but you will become more confident as you learn what to do and what not to touch when.

Always work with one hand in your pocket especially if you are just starting out.

The little metal shield over the back of the CRT goes missing sometimes or they never had it. Its okay if this part is missing its just to keep from getting a shock.

Hi guys,

I was able to get some security torx screwdrivers and safely disconnected the flyback suction cup from the CRT using some great youtube tutorials.
I'm glad I'm still alive to tell you this. ^^

Before dismantling the whole chassis from the cab for maintenance and restoration, are there other warnings I should be aware before manipulating the board?

I heard the caps shouldn't be touched neither. Please bear with me, first time doing this.

Thanks for all great advice guys, I can see the day I can set this Candy to its glory days.

Nice day!

Back